• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Tokyo Tropical Night (JABB)

Share/Bookmark

Smile Tokyo Tropical Night (JABB)

Here is an all JABB-rendered original miniature jazz tune. This is a rough beta version, though. Any comments, suggestions, opinions will be very much appreciated.

TOKYO TROPICAL NIGHT

Actually very hot and humid these days in Tokyo

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: Tokyo Tropical Night (JABB)

Jun, excellent stuff as usual.

Only a couple of comments:

A personal taste thing - perhaps the piano is a little loud in the mix?

Drums - could be my ears deceiving me but there are occasions when you have the ride cymbal playing through a drum roll which is a little unrealistic unless you have two drummers

Nice bass solo, and drum break sections.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Outstanding, Jun San!

Your left hand/right hand unison work is great. I enjoyed this fine composition.

Did you multi-track all parts in real time? If so, it's a remarkable job!

Thanks for sharing this.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Smile Re: Tokyo Tropical Night (JABB)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.

A personal taste thing - perhaps the piano is a little loud in the mix?

Drums - could be my ears deceiving me but there are occasions when you have the ride cymbal playing through a drum roll which is a little unrealistic unless you have two drummers
    Richard, I will revise the balance of piano. Also, I will eliminate ride cymbal when drum roll is on. Thank you very much for your kind advices.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Did you multi-track all parts in real time? If so, it's a remarkable job!
    Larry,

No, it's not a real time recording. The perfect both-hand unison is creditable to MIDI editing

Thank you for your kind comment.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Wow! Jun, this is... superb!

Loved the center section (~3:10 ff.); and
    the percussion work is an art of itself.

It takes a really sure hand to write with
    this confidence and agility -- definitely one
    of the finest things I've heard from you,
    my friend.

Great ending!

My best,

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jun:

Great jazz feeling in this and overall excellent writing. Agree with above comments, but this an outstanding output from JABB.

Always love to hear your jazz compositions and your use of JABB.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Jun, we all have our own interpretations of what would make this better, me included.
    I am so glad Richard pointed out the ride cymbal being consistantly played during fills, now I don't have to be the bearer of that news....

Personally, I don't think the piano is too loud, but many of the cymbal crashes are.

During the bass solo section including the end, the bass is also too loud. In many common live situations, the upright is just a little hard to hear. If you were to pull back the volume of the bass during the solo and at the end it would be totally realistic.

And I might as well add this too... since you have used a reverb that sounds like a club setting, which is a very good choice, I would minimize the stereo spread of all the drums, especially the cymbals and toms. I do feel the piano could be more centered. I didn't remember hearing any Hi-Hat it could be louder if it's there. To me, that's where the real groove is, on the (ands)

Of course these are all just suggestions to polishing this thing up to an even better JABB rendition.
    I think Tom Hopkins would be proud.

Excellent playing Jun, your chops (suey) are fantastic!!

A+++
    Dan

Wow...Fantastic work, Jun!

Man, I can feel the heat!... Very energetic. It must be very tropical there indeed. A great inspiration for this hot arrangement.

The piano work was very clean, and the percussion section was especially well done.

I liked the doubling of lead/bass piano arround 5:00.. A very nice heavy rich sound!

..And a great ending too!

wonderful work!

~Jeff

WOW. Very excellent stuff!! Very good work with the piano there. Extremely energetic. Great job with this.

~Cata
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast