• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Stradivarius and Finale

Share/Bookmark

Stradivarius and Finale

Up to now you have not been able to use Stradivarius with Finale since it needs Kontakt 2. Now when Finale has K2 incorporated with 2007 is it possible to use it? Or does it still need a special Garritan Studio for that purpose?

Björn

Re: Stradivarius and Finale

Björn, you can use the Stradivari with Finale 2006. I wrote a Kontakt 2 script + a Finale library for this. Feel free to use it, if you like. I expect the script (not the Finale library) will also work with other notation programs and sequencers, though I have not tried it, as long as you feed it CC#1 or CC#11 expression data. Just keep in mind, that it is a prototype (read: beta version). It was stable the last few times I used it, but there may still be bugs lurking in dark corners. And the documentation is next to non-existent. I have only written a guide to how you load it.
    Please notice, that you need Kontakt 2.11 to run the script. It will not work with older versions of K2.

G Strings script: Goes into Kontakt 2\presets\scripts. Updated to version 1.4.4

G Strings Finale library: Goes into Finale 2006(2007)\Libraries. Updated to version 1.4.1

Stradivari Finale library: Goes into Finale 2006(2007)\Libraries.

G Strings documentation: Goes into whatever folder you like.

G Strings skin: Goes into Kontakt 2\presets\wallpaper.

Or the whole bunch in a handy .zip file:

G Strings library Updated to version 1.4.4

Brief explanation to Main View:
    If you select "InterceptCC7", CC#1 data will be overlayered with CC#7 data; otherwise CC#7 works the usual way.
    When used with Finale you should select Expression CC#1.
    Set BaseAttck to Finale's HP Preferences BaseAttack; modify it with AttLevel (controlable through "Velo" expressions). Obsolete: The present version of the script has only one Attack level shared by Legato and Non-Legato notes, which is not really good. You may need to adjust Attack level pretty often with "Velo" expressions or the number articulations incl. in "G Strings Finale library".
    Version 1.3.0 update: Main View has been split into Legato View and Non-Legato View, with controls for Legato Attack level and Non-Legato Attack level respectively. These can now be controlled independently from Finale using "LegVelo" and "NonLegVelo" expressions.
    StepRes is the basic Step unit when you create a Vibrato Amplitude/Frequency ramp; a ramp lasts StepRes*Amp(Frq)Step (Amp(Frq)Step controlable through "VA(F)step" expressions)

Brief explanation to Vibrato View:
    When Auto Vibrato is ON (controlable through expression), VA/F determines Velocitys weighted impact on Vibrato Amplitude/Frequency (controlable through "VeloAmp/Frq" expressions) and XA/F determines Expressions (Finale CC#1 (modwheel)) weighted impact on Vibrato Amplitude/Frequency (controlable through "ExpAmp/Frq" expressions).
    VibProfile determines how steep Auto Vibrato is faded in (controlable through "VibProfile" expressions). Profile is common for Amplitude and Frequency.

Brief explanation to Synchronization View:

Unfortunately Finale doesn't seem to be able to send Tempo and Time Signature data, that K2 can understand, so you need to do this manually with controller data.
    BPM(msb)=0 & BPM(lsb)=BPM, for 20<=BPM<=127,
    BPM(msb)=1 & BPM(lsb)=BPM-128, for 128<=BPM<=255,
    BPM(msb)=2 & BPM(lsb)=BPM-256, for 256<=BPM<=383,
    BPM(msb)=3 & BPM(lsb)=BPM-384, for 384<=BPM<=400.
    There are a few predefined Tempo expressions, which you can modify for your own needs.
    The same goes for Time Signature Denominator.
    Time Signature Numerator is unimportant.

Suggested workflow:
    0. Get Expression (CC#1, ModWheel) and Velocity/Attack right. Auto Vibrato depends on this.
    1. Start out with Auto Vibrato. Select proper VA/VF/XA/XF levels throughout the score.
    2. Select proper Vibrato Profile.
    3. Adjust Vibrato levels with VibAmp/VibFrq (controlable through "VA"/"VF" expressions).
    4. Create Amplitude/Frequency ramps to further adjust Vibrato. Use VA(F)step and VA(F) +/- expressions for this.
    5. Select humanization.
    Last edited by Nickie Fønshauge; 09-04-2006 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Version 1.4.4 update

Thanks Nickie for that! Very kind of you.

Björn

Updated to version 1.3.0 with independent control of Legato Attack level and Non-Legato Attack level.

Updated to version 1.4.1. Fixed an issue, where detection of legato/non-legato didn't work, when K2 got swamped. Hopefully it works better now. Also version 1.4.0 introduced automatic non-legato bow change (alternating upbow(spicc.) & downbow). Can be switched ON with CC#63=127 and OFF with CC#63=0.

Nickie, thanks for your work on this script, skin, etc. I am anxious to try this out.
    I have recently installed Finale 2007 and I believe there is some misunderstanding about the Kontakt Player 2 that comes with it. On the Native Instruments website page for the player it states that it is specific to whatever library it comes with. In other words, if you bought Finale 2007, the Kontakt player will load the GPO finale library instruments. I haven't found anyway to load any other libraries into the player. However, I have copied the GPO, JABB, and Kontakt 2 VST folders into the Finale VST folder and have access to them through the MIDI dropdown.
    Is this the way you are using other libraries within Finale?
    Regards, John

John, I can't really tell you much about the Kontakt Player 2, since I haven't bought F07 - yet. My guess is, you will eventually be able to load all your "Powered by NI" libraries into KP2, maybe even several different libraries into the same instance, like you can with K2. It is probably a matter of registration/programming of the various libraries, before they can be loaded into KP2. But then again, if you already own K2, why not just use K2, since you can already do this and a lot more (you can load custom scripts, like SIPS and G Strings, into K2; you can not do this with KP2, as far as I know) with K2.

As to using GPO, JABB and K2 in F07, you need to copy PersonalOrchestraVST.dll & Garritan JazzVST.dll & Kontakt2.dll - and for GPO and JABB also gpofullinstrument.txt & GarritanJazzinstrument.txt - into the FinaleVST folder to be able to use them as VST plugins.

I hope this answers your questions. Otherwise: ask away

Quote Originally Posted by bigears
    Nickie, thanks for your work on this script, skin, etc. I am anxious to try this out.
    I have recently installed Finale 2007 and I believe there is some misunderstanding about the Kontakt Player 2 that comes with it. On the Native Instruments website page for the player it states that it is specific to whatever library it comes with. In other words, if you bought Finale 2007, the Kontakt player will load the GPO finale library instruments. I haven't found anyway to load any other libraries into the player. However, I have copied the GPO, JABB, and Kontakt 2 VST folders into the Finale VST folder and have access to them through the MIDI dropdown.
    Is this the way you are using other libraries within Finale?
    Regards, John
    John,

Once other libraries become encoded for the Kontakt 2 player, they should be able to load into Finale's Kontakt 2 player. Apparantly being a Kontakt 2 library isn't enough, they have to be a Kontakt 2 player library.

Jeff

Hey Nickie,
    Thanks for doing this!!
    Can you zip all these files and make them available? Everytime I download the .nkp file, my browser adds .txt at the end, and even if I remove it, K2 does not recognize it as a script int he instrument specific folder.

Just a thought.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Here you are. One .zip coming up

G Strings v1.4.2

Bon appétit!

Edit: If you've already downloaded the .zip file, please re-download, as I've updated it to v1.4.2 (forgot to include a part of the script in the "Inactive" option )

Go Back to forum