• Register
  • Help

Topic: James Horner scores new theme for CBS News with Katie Couric

Share/Bookmark

James Horner scores new theme for CBS News with Katie Couric

Not sure if this had been mentioned here:
    http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/stor...n1861048.shtml

Horner's 'Legends of the Fall' soundtrack is one of my favorites, but that's the only work I really like from him. I'm guessing that CBS hired him to create a buzz since he's well known from Titanic, and since I heard about this on talk radio it looks like it's working. Now how many people will tune in Sept 5 just to hear the new theme?

Re: James Horner scores new theme for CBS News with Katie Couric

Nice... imagine just how much money he got for writing that little cue.

Its not the first time A list composers score for news shows and similar.

Watched "The New World" for the first time last night. Beautiful score, and good luck to him if he can make a mint out of TV.

TV themes and bumpers are at the top of the royalty payment class, higher even than Visual Vocals. Imagine just how much money John Williams has made from the NBC news theme, which is played at least four times a day every day for the past twenty+ years. I predict that James Horner will never have to work another day in his life. He can become like the Hugh Grant character in "About a Boy" who lives off his father's Christmas song.

It's true about Williams, he gets most of his money from TV royalties (like ~60million a year from what I've heard). That and his "standard rate" of $1,000,000 for every film soundtrack he does.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Horner's 'Legends of the Fall' soundtrack is one of my favorites
    Why did they make a movie about hairpieces?

Not be be a jerk, but I'm going to have to politely correct some suppositions here.

Williams does not make that much from royalties each year. Granted, he makes more than most, but $60 million a year (from royalties alone) is WAY higher than anyone gets. BMI or ASCAP.

Secondly, Williams didn't receive a huge sum for the NBC "Mission" package up front. Again, I know this for a fact. However, he just re-did a bunch of stuff for NBC and from what I've heard from the sessions, it's pretty amazing. The man is honestly the greatest living composer. And -- if it will make you happy, I remember hearing he got paid more for the revisions than he did for the inital package.

The Horner deal is CBS trying to garner any possible media attention for its broadcast. The Evening News with Katie Couric is a huge risk for CBS. It appeals to an unproven demographic and a million years in third place, they'll try opening each show with gangs of dwarves immolating themselves if it would boost their ratings.

And, for all you accountants out there, writing music for the evening news doesn't pay that much, because the time slot pays about half of what someone earns for a primetime air. Sure, airing five times a week (and multiple times each day) can add up, but trust me when I tell you he's not going to buy a new yacht anytime soon.

You can make a great living from writing themes, but it's not like winning the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Why did they make a movie about hairpieces?
    Umm.. I don't get it..

Quote Originally Posted by Videohlper
    The Horner deal is CBS trying to garner any possible media attention for its broadcast. The Evening News with Katie Couric is a huge risk for CBS. It appeals to an unproven demographic and a million years in third place, they'll try opening each show with gangs of dwarves immolating themselves if it would boost their ratings.
    Agreed.. and I'm sure that they'll get at least a boost in the ratings, at least temporarily, while people decide if they like the way Couric delivers the news. The long term success has nothing to do with Horner scoring the theme, but it's getting them some free publicity right now.

Speaking of which.. I heard another mention of it.. that it was appropriate that the guy who scored 'Titanic' was scoring the CBS Evening News.

Thought that was funny..

Quote Originally Posted by Videohlper
    They'll try opening each show with gangs of dwarves immolating themselves if it would boost their ratings.
    One word - colonoscopies.

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum