• Register
  • Help

Topic: Slightly OT: MIDI Velocity Curve/Scaler VST

Share/Bookmark

Question Slightly OT: MIDI Velocity Curve/Scaler VST

Sorry for the MIDI-esque question here. It does pertain to samples, though.

Using my Yamaha P-200 as a MIDI controller, mainly for piano libraries, I'm finding it difficult to get that perfect response from the sample library as I do from my internal sounds. Now, libraries like Art Vista's, Post's, Worra's are far superior to those in my P-200. However, they're not as "playable" mainly thanks to the velocity output sent via MIDI from the P-200, no matter what hardware velocity curve I set. While I can go into Kontakt and manually change the sample MIDI levels, I'd have to do this for every instrument in my arsenal, some of which are non-Kontakt VSTis, too!

So, I figured I'd look for a MIDI velocity scaler and, surprisingly, came up with very little. The best bet I found to date was from MusicLab of RealGuitar fame. This is an MFX plug-in, though.

I'm using Tracktion 2 which does not support MFX, unfortunately. The only MFX/VST wrapper I've ever come across is from Steinberg (I also own, but no longer use Cubase SX2). Naturally, I would not expect this to work in Tracktion.

If anyone here has come across a decent plug-in, free or pay, I would be very interested in it! It would be great to be able to "dial in" a velocity reponse setting based on any VSTi or sample library I have. Thanks again!

-- Chris Jarzynka

Re: Slightly OT: MIDI Velocity Curve/Scaler VST

Yes I would also be interested in this. - I recently took advantage of the Sampletek Group Buy, and got the Black Grand Close. - Unfortunately, due to heavy use of my velocity curve button on my Studiologic controller - the button's knackered and I can't change the velocity response any more!! - It's stuck on the linear response, which is far too light for my touch. - Other than reprogramming all my Libraries in Halion to suit my playing style, or opening up my keyboard to see if I can mend the button, I'm stuffed!

Anyone have any ideas?

If you have a PC, you could try this: http://www.trombettworks.com/velocity.php

I'm a Mac user, and as yet haven't found anything....

What DAW are you using? Usually you can get it to scale the velocity.

But you might find it easier just to get a MIDI Solutions Velocity Converter box:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodvel.htm

Obiwan-

Thanks very much for that gem! I haven't tried it yet, but will soon. I did a Google search for about every combination of VST, MIDI, Velocity, Curve, Scaler I could find and didn't see that one. Of course, it's not VST, but with MIDI Yoke, it will function as if through a patch bay. Hopefully the latency isn't too bad, but I'll give it a shot. If anything passes along that would fit the bill for Macs I'll certainly let you know. Are you on OS X?

Nick-

Thanks for your solution, too! I'm a convert from Cubase SX 2 to Tracktion 2, and I love the easier layout and much quicker results. Cubase was just too clunky and complex an interface for me. That hardware solution is an interesting one, although a bit pricey: $115-$150 US. Nonetheless, it could be a much better and cheaper solution than trying to find a new MIDI keyboard controller!

Perhaps this would make for an interesting mini article in the next Virtual Instruments? I see that the September issue PDF is out! I'm so happy with my subscription I let my Keyboard subscription expire. Not a knock against Keyboard, but I find myself so VI based now, your magazine fills my every need for great new articles and reviews! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf

But you might find it easier just to get a MIDI Solutions Velocity Converter box:

I think this is the VST plugin you want:

http://www.adbe.org/freebies/plugins/mway.html

Well actually I just noticed that this is not released yet. Sounds like the perfect solution when it finally is. Another thing you could try doing is to use synthedit to create your own VST plugin that does it. I've never used it before, but here is info: www.synthedit.com

PS - the velocity changer app someone showed before would also work, but you would need to run some kind of midi virtual ports to use it...I would reccomend the freebie MapleTools for this. That would probably work quite well for your situation.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf

Cubase SX 2, Halion 2, on a Dual 2Ghz G5 running OS X 10.4.x. - I know you can mess around with the Input Transformer in Cubase, but it seems really complicated - I ideally want something to adjust the velocity curve rather than just scale the velocity. - Thanks for that MIDI Solutions Velocity Convertor - this looks ideal - although is very pricey (at least in the UK - £136) so unfortunately is out of my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    I think this is the VST plugin you want:

http://www.adbe.org/freebies/plugins/mway.html

Well actually I just noticed that this is not released yet. Sounds like the perfect solution when it finally is. Another thing you could try doing is to use synthedit to create your own VST plugin that does it. I've never used it before, but here is info: www.synthedit.com

PS - the velocity changer app someone showed before would also work, but you would need to run some kind of midi virtual ports to use it...I would reccomend the freebie MapleTools for this. That would probably work quite well for your situation.
    Thanks for this - like you say though it's not released yet!! - The other solutions are PC only, so it looks like no Mac solutions exist other than hardware. - I'm surprised, it seems like such a basic requirement!!

I missed that you were on a mac. Look for MidiPipe.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    I missed that you were on a mac. Look for MidiPipe.
    Yep - have this already thanks! - It's a cool app for doing loads of MIDI stuff, but the velocity modifier is fairly limited. - You can scale the velocitys up and down etc, but you can't define your own velocity curve - which is ideally what I need. - Maybe I should write to the developer and request it, seeing this looks like the closest thing to be able to do it on the mac.

Go Back to forum