• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Music with Giovani

Share/Bookmark

Music with Giovani

Hello friends,

Here's a track I did using the Giovani Choir. Any comments will be appreciated.

http://www.homerealtor.us/DaysOfHappinessAndSorrow.mp3

Thanks.

Re: Music with Giovani

The link is not working here.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    The link is not working here.
    Try it now....

Thanks.

I'm sorry - but it's not working, on so many levels. It sounds as if all the choir sounds get cut off - as if you dont let the sound ring out. It gives it a very synthy feel... Especialy the staccatos are suffering. In addition to this the timing of your virtual players if far off... it sounds like they arent "listening" to each other. To be constructive - Either you really need todo some quantentizing, or you have quatentized it - but some of the samples have a bit too much dead air in their recording - so it sounds like some of them start too late. In which case you need to move these samples a bit, even if it looks wrong... use your ears.

Finaly - you have an instrument I'm not sure what is, that ends the choral phrases with a "honk honk"... First of all it sounds like a "honk" - but thats not your fault. It's the sample itself - but secondly it sounds out of tune. Have a look at the composition to see if it in fact is the same harmony... If so, then its the samples again. You may want to use some other instrument then...

my 5 cents. Take it or leave it. Unfortunately its hard to really help you, as I dont know exactly what goes wrong where - but it's not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    I'm sorry - but it's not working, on so many levels. It sounds as if all the choir sounds get cut off - as if you dont let the sound ring out. It gives it a very synthy feel... Especialy the staccatos are suffering. In addition to this the timing of your virtual players if far off... it sounds like they arent "listening" to each other. To be constructive - Either you really need todo some quantentizing, or you have quatentized it - but some of the samples have a bit too much dead air in their recording - so it sounds like some of them start too late. In which case you need to move these samples a bit, even if it looks wrong... use your ears.

Finaly - you have an instrument I'm not sure what is, that ends the choral phrases with a "honk honk"... First of all it sounds like a "honk" - but thats not your fault. It's the sample itself - but secondly it sounds out of tune. Have a look at the composition to see if it in fact is the same harmony... If so, then its the samples again. You may want to use some other instrument then...

my 5 cents. Take it or leave it. Unfortunately its hard to really help you, as I dont know exactly what goes wrong where - but it's not working.

Yes, you are right. I just listened to this track on the headphones after your comments, and I can feel what you say. I mixed the track using just the monitors[what I havent done with any tracks before as I've always mixed using the headphones and monitors together]. I think I wasnt paying too much attention the synchronzation or maybe it's the room reverbations or my lazy listening which had this flaw getting undetected...I can feel the choirs on my headphones little off from the music. I will give it a shot with the attacks and synchronization more in place...

This happens when you get lost in the feel of your own composition and dont pay much attention to what you are doing as a composer...

Thanks

Take it easy Macussen. Remember, you do not own this library (though your are always fast to knock it) so I find it a little odd that you would place blame on, "the samples". This is the users first attempt and a fast one. Sure it needs work. Give it time.

As far as Giovani and the fault of samples, feel free to visit our demo room...

http://www.beladmedia.com/giovani-demos.htm

PS. Robin,
    Should you need an advice with the library please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

What in Gods name are you talking about? Have you lost your mind?

The only thing I commented might be the samples were the "honk honk" samples, which as far as I can tell are not from your library? I have no idea what library they are from. As for the synthiness I mention, I actually blame it on Robin... telling him it sounds like he's not letting the samples ring out.

So perhaps you should concentrate on making samples instead of (once again) throwing yourself at me based on a post of mine you hardly read.

This is like the third time you (Frank?) have had a go at me... The past few times you have ended up apologizing becuase your just lost it, and threw around accusiation you couldn't back up - but your paranoia towards me it's getting old. Especially considering how I often point people looking for choirs in your direction - or recently the music box.

There is no plot against you... So back off, and get a hold of yourself.

Robin,

Although it needs work in tightening the tracks into a more cohesive production (I would work with the midi data and massage / humanize / quantize, etc it a bit), I find your courage and creativity to be exemplary. The fact that you created this piece and are asking for constructive criticism is a major plus and I applaud you.

Don't listen to people who make themselves feel a lot better by knocking you down to levels well below them (or so they believe). The only way we, as musicians and composers, get better at our craft is to create . . . and create . . . and create.

Hone your skills. Perfect your craft. Do things you normally do not do. I hear a lot of culture in this piece and I truly believe if you tighten it up, add some additional parts (like strings or woodwinds) and maybe a little effect here and there (and use a maximizer to make the overall production a bit louder) it could be a really enjoyable song.

I wish you all the best and please, by all means, regardless of what curmudgeons say, continue to excel and create!

Mike

Marcussen,

You are a wicked, unkind soul.

Perfect yourself or say nothing.

Here's some tips on how to treat people:

(1) Say simething nice about the person (ex: That was a great attempt - I loved how the timpani came in)
    (2) Explain how it could be better (ex: Now if you just tighten up the . . .)
    (3) One more compliment to seal the deal: (ex: Robin, again, wonderful job, keep up the good work!)

That's all it takes to be a MENSCH and not a JERK.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer
    Marcussen,

You are a wicked, unkind soul.

Perfect yourself or say nothing.

Here's some tips on how to treat people:

(1) Say simething nice about the person (ex: That was a great attempt - I loved how the timpani came in)
    (2) Explain how it could be better (ex: Now if you just tighten up the . . .)
    (3) One more compliment to seal the deal: (ex: Robin, again, wonderful job, keep up the good work!)

That's all it takes to be a MENSCH and not a JERK.

Mike
    Hey Mike....no offense to you... but shouldn't you too follow the rules which you set up for others in your post? Saying something like "Marcussen, your a very knowledgable member of this board, and while you give some good advice and I generally agree with your critique, couldn't you have said the same in a more friendly, less hurtful way?" Instead you call him wicked, unkind, a jerk, and tell him to shut up...
    Not exactly practicing what you preach there ...hey it's just an observation....

Go Back to forum