• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Torn between Gigasampler 3 and VSampler 3!! Advice please!!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Torn between Gigasampler 3 and VSampler 3!! Advice please!!

Ok, so here's the situation :

I have a celeron PC with an EMU 0404 card and Energy-XT as my DAW.

I can get Gigastudio 3 Ensemble for 50 bux, or i can get VSampler 3 for 70 bucks. I tried the VS3 demo and i liked it. Here's the dilemma

1). VSampler cant do time stretch or pitchstretch. HUGE bummer. Gigastudio CAN.

2). Gigastudio cant rewire in EXT (my main app), so i'll have to use sonar or reaper for that. HUGE bummer.

3). VSampler can accept program changes, so i can load 50 patches in 50 slots and scroll through them without even touching the computer (by using Program change messages). I DONT think gigastudio can do that. I know Kontakt can. Its a HUGE thing for me.

4). VSampler doesnt include any libraries. Gigastudio does.

5). VSampler can import AND export soundfonts, also giga libraries, and also MANY other formats such as AKai 1000/3000/5000/6000. I tried that with my akai CDs, and it works BEAUTIFULLY. Gigastudio can ONLY import .gig (and i dont have ANY CDs in that format) and akai 1000/3000.

So, my friends, as you see, i'm really torn between deciding which sampler to get for this summer! Kontakt 2 has been my dream sampler, but I cant afford it. If i could, i wouldnt even bother looking up GS3. So please help me decide which one to go for. ANY advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Sam.

Re: Torn between Gigasampler 3 and VSampler 3!! Advice please!!

Quote Originally Posted by sambasevam
    3). VSampler can accept program changes, so i can load 50 patches in 50 slots and scroll through them without even touching the computer (by using Program change messages). I DONT think gigastudio can do that. I know Kontakt can. Its a HUGE thing for me.

GS3 can handle program changes. I use it very often!

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

Thumbs up Re: Torn between Gigasampler 3 and VSampler 3!! Advice please!!

COol! Ok, just to make this clear : I want to turn my data dial in my Fantom S and listen through patches in GS as if it were a rompler, correct? If yes, that would be pretty cool.

GS : 1
    VS : 0

DOes anyone know if my ASIO-compatible Emu 0404 soundcard is a GSIF-compatible card so that i can use Gigastudio standalone?

DOes anyone know if my ASIO-compatible Emu 0404 soundcard is a GSIF-compatible card so that i can use Gigastudio standalone?
    I don't believe any of the EMU sound cards are GSIF compatible (i.e. Emu has never written any GSIF drivers for them).

Awww.....JUST when i was ABOUT to hit the buy button.....

Any other options? How DO i run gigastudio in an emu card then? Is it even possible?

Doesn't look like any of the E-mu cards are GSIF-compatible:

http://tascamgiga.com/hardware.html
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Awww.....JUST when i was ABOUT to hit the buy button.....

Any other options? How DO i run gigastudio in an emu card then? Is it even possible?
    Heh -- let's be clear about this... if you make the jump to Giga (or, perhaps, any major sample engine), you are almost invariably going to be spending A LOT more money than you originally anticipated.

You will need more RAM, and more and larger hard drives... samples should always be placed on a drive other than the one(s) containing your OS and your DAW application... plus, Giga really wants to be placed on its own hard drive (many don't do it that way, but many -- myself included -- couldn't get it to run properly any other way, so be ready for that possible expense)... then of course there are the libraries, and you will want more and more of them.

If you don't get the Giga 3 Orchestra, you may find that you really miss the GigaPulse convolution reverb, which does wonders for making sounds and spaces sound realistic...

My point is, if it means spending a few hundred bucks more for a new sound card now, then you should be ready to do it, and reap the benefits going forward...

Whatever you do, good luck and great music!!
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Sam,

I would suggest waiting (saving your money) for a few months so you can buy either:
    -- Kontakt 2
    -- Tascam GVI (GigaStudio in plug-in format, so it works with any soundcard)
    http://www.tascamgiga.com/gvi.html

It should be released sometime in the near future.

That way you can use your existing emu soundcard.

Thanks for the reply folks.

This is so dissappointing. I read that people have had success running GS in their existing computer with their existing software. I was so thrilled about it since i didnt have to spend any more money!

Then, I look at this offer for GS 3 Ensemble for 50 dollars. Yes, FIFTY FREKKIN DOLLARS for a top-of-the-line sampler. I even have a seperate, fast harddrive for just samples and audio related stuff.

Now, just when everything seems fine and dandy, and i'm floating in my dream world of mine where i just beat Hans Zimmer and am working on my next project with Gigastudio 3 running under Energy-XT with gigapulse reverb and its included library and all that, and someone tells me that meh poor ol' 70 bux a pop emu 0404 soundcard doesnt support Gigastudio. Sheesh.....

I've been waiting for a looong time....All these years, i've been drooling for Kontakt, but now that giga was up for clearance sale, i thought i might have a chance....looks like i was wrong...

Either that or Jorgen comes up with ReWire technology for Energy-XT2. Now, THAT would be something.

Go Back to forum