• Register
  • Help

Topic: Drumcore 2

Share/Bookmark

Drumcore 2

Hi,
    I'm looking for options on drums to work with, and have noticed Drumcore has been updated to version 2 with improved tempo-sync and individual outputs via Rewire, I use Digital Performer on a mac for my DAW, so I'm wondering if I need another application for routing via Rewire, and if so, what is the cheapest way?
    I don't need Reason as a one size fits all host as I have all I need with NI Komplete 3 and a few others.

I will be using the drums for singer-songwriter acoustic material.
    Regarding other options, there is the easydrummer/BFD route, but I like the idea of Drumcore, - real performances with different drummers bringing different flavours.

Also, how does the Gabrieliser work in practice?

I don't mind spending time with drums, using drag & drop etc, if it's worth the effort.

Thanks.

Re: Drumcore 2

I just got it to use with DP5. No problems and DP loads it via rewire. I have only had it for a couple of days, but am happy so far I will post more as I get into using it more, especially the MIDI drag and drop. I also use Stylus RMX and enjoy that too!

Peace

rikp

Quote Originally Posted by rikp
    I just got it to use with DP5. No problems and DP loads it via rewire. I have only had it for a couple of days, but am happy so far I will post more as I get into using it more, especially the MIDI drag and drop. I also use Stylus RMX and enjoy that too!

Peace

rikp
    Thanks!
    I work often around 60 to 75 bpm, and I'm interested to know how the drummers play arund that tempo. Do they pull back with the dynamics, introduce some extra hi hat / rim hits etc. It's Sly Dunbar's territory but I'm more interested in the country drummer and the others. Any cool and empty, vibey drums. Any brushes on offer?
    I don't have Stylus RMX and am also interested in how Drumcore might compare. I sense it may be more useful for singer-songwriter material.

I also work with Digital Performer. So it just appears in DP or do I need some Propellerhead software installed?

Sorry for the list!!!

Hywyn

Hywyn:

I really have not had that much time to poke around the drum grooves. I bought the complete set with all the offered grooves. There are a boat load and it is going to take me some time to sort through. I work mostly with jazz and smooth jazz and yes, one of the add ons has some brush work. I am in the middle of a big project right now, but I am using some of the grooves for some smooth jazz stuff that I am working on. I also own EZdrumer and Stylus RMX, between the three of them, I have more than enough drummers in my studio

DP will locate drumcore automatically. Lauch DP, then put Drum Core into Rewire mode and DP will see it, no other program required. I am using DP 5.1

Hope I helped just a little!

Peace

rikp

Hywyn:

I really have not had that much time to poke around the drum grooves. I bought the complete set with all the offered grooves. There are a boat load and it is going to take me some time to sort through. I work mostly with jazz and smooth jazz and yes, one of the add ons has some brush work. I am in the middle of a big project right now, but I am using some of the grooves for some smooth jazz stuff that I am working on. I also own EZdrumer and Stylus RMX, between the three of them, I have more than enough drummers in my studio

DP will locate drumcore automatically. Lauch DP, then put Drum Core into Rewire mode and DP will see it, no other program required. I am using DP 5.1

Hope I helped just a little!

Peace

rikp
    Indeed it does help, thanks!
    Maybe i should get easydrummer too, and maybe RMX, but I don't really want the confusion that so much choice can bring. Oh for the luxury of time!
    I've been using Reaktor's cool grooveboxes, and just want an alternative for some songs.
    Cheers,
    Hywyn

Hywyn: (in Drumcore) there are a boat load and it is going to take me some time to sort through. I work mostly with jazz and smooth jazz and yes, one of the add ons has some brush work. I am in the middle of a big project right now, but I am using some of the grooves for some smooth jazz stuff that I am working on. I also own EZdrumer and Stylus RMX, between the three of them, I have more than enough drummers in my studio rikp
    Now that you've had some time to use them both, I ask, between Drumcore and EZDrummer, which do you think you will use the most/sounds the best in your mixes?

I'm in need of great sounding acoustic drums. I have lots of midi, and REX. I always end up modifying the midi files myself to fit the song.

I also own RMX, and if I could create a great acoustic kit in there that could play my midi files, I'd be all set, but the kit modes I've tried don't fit my acoustic rock/pop/country needs. Unless I haven't stumbled upon the right one.

I listened to the demos of EZ and I had to say, it still didn't sound quite like what I'm trying to get, I wasn't blown away. I have drum samples that seem to sound nearly the same as EZ but they still aren't punchy enough which is why I'm still looking. The drums I have are either too dull, muffled, lame, thin, or just so-so. But from people's raves about EZ, either its demos don't do it justice or they sound completely different when in a mix. They're great sounding?

And last, I like the sound of SessionLoops (Simon Phillips) which comes with one shots you can use for a kit. If it really sounded that good, that might be what I need. Anyone have that?

So question boils down to either A) EZ, B) Drumcore, C) great kit in RMX or D) great kit for my sampler.

OK, I'm a guitar player, which means at some level I'm a frustrated drummer!!

I've been hunting for the perfect computer based drummer for a long time, and I think I am getting close. I use DFH Superior and drive it from Jamstix. I'm still figuring out all the nuances, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

Previously I used MusicLab SlicyDrummer and Fillin Drummer to drive DFHs. That worked really well, and in some ways I still prefer the humanize function in the MusicLab plugins.

I also have Drumcore1, and I really like it, but I've just never been really happy with drum parts based on loops. I used, or tried to use Acid before Drumcore came out, and seldom got results I would use. Drumcore is FAR better, at least for this non-drummer, I suppose because it is just a drum tool. I use it rewired to Sonar5 without a hitch.

Other than that about the only other tool I've really spent a lot of time with is DR-008, and I still have it installed, and still use it for a couple of kits that I am very fond of, again driven by Jamstix.

I did look long and hard at EZ-Drummer, and I might one day give it a whirl, but if I was going to give the nice folks at Toontracks any more of my money, right now it would go to the Vintage add-on.

A quick comment on DFHs vs BFD. They are both really good drum libraries. I went with DFHs mostly because, at the time, they also had all the percussion instruments, and sadly BFD didn't announce that they would have them until after I made my purchase.

Bill

Go Back to forum