• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Topic: Could one of the professors give me some advice?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Could one of the professors give me some advice?

    Hello everyone,

    Could one of the professors give me any advice on this score? If you need an mp3 of this, let me know. Anyway, I think that it is pretty good, but I am untrained and probably dead wrong about the quality of the writing. Any advice, tips, corrections, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

    http://www.esnips.com/doc/516e152e-f...llenge-8.2.pdf

    Thank you,
    Paul

    Prowland the posting Ninja

  2. #2

    Re: Could one of the professors give me some advice?

    Well it has been 4 days... lots of folks have looked, but no comments as of yet. Is it to much info thrown at you at once? Is the pdf not clear enough to read? What's the story? Time is running out on the challenge... so, I guess that I will go ahead and turn it in in the next couple of days. Until then, ya'll still have time to advise and I will have time to revise.

    thanks to all who hve looked at the pdf.
    Paul

    Prowland the posting Ninja

  3. #3

    Re: Could one of the professors give me some advice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prowland
    Well it has been 4 days... lots of folks have looked, but no comments as of yet. Is it to much info thrown at you at once? Is the pdf not clear enough to read? What's the story? Time is running out on the challenge... so, I guess that I will go ahead and turn it in in the next couple of days. Until then, ya'll still have time to advise and I will have time to revise.

    thanks to all who hve looked at the pdf.
    Paul, what comments do you expect?

    As a conductor, I would have comments namely to correct notation and playability of the piece. At first - I would recommend you to firmly define the rhythm. The 6/8 signature could be considered as 2x3/8 or 3x2/8. Although it is possible to mix them, I would be very careful to mix it all the time and even at the same time. Difficult to play, difficult to conduct, difficult to understand even for audience.

    Dynamics marks should be written under the notes, not in blocks appart of there are notes or free bars.

    Tremollo in strings should be notated. If there is tremollo, it can't be at the same time legato.

    Fermata - should be specified in all instruments, even in those with free bars (see the difference from dynamics).

    If there is an eight tripple, don't connect it with other notes in different rhythm. It's unreadable.

    In general, I would recommend to write music, it needn't too many marks and comments. Otherwise, it is an excercise for players, difficult to play, but with small musical impact on audience.
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.
    Conductor, Orchestrator, Music Producer
    Capellen Music Production

  4. #4

    Re: Could one of the professors give me some advice?

    Quote Originally Posted by capellen
    Paul, what comments do you expect?
    Quote Originally Posted by prowland
    Hello everyone,

    Could one of the professors give me any advice on this score? If you need an mp3 of this, let me know. Anyway, I think that it is pretty good, but I am untrained and probably dead wrong about the quality of the writing. Any advice, tips, corrections, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by capellen
    As a conductor, I would have comments namely to correct notation and playability of the piece. At first - I would recommend you to firmly define the rhythm. The 6/8 signature could be considered as 2x3/8 or 3x2/8. Although it is possible to mix them, I would be very careful to mix it all the time and even together. Difficult to play, difficult to conduct, difficult to understand even for audience.

    Dynamics marks should be written under the notes, not in blocks appart of there are notes or free bars.

    Tremollo in strings should be notated. If there is tremollo, it can be at the same time legato.

    Fermata - should be specified in all instruments, even in those with free bars (see the difference from dynamics).

    If there is an eight tripple, don't connect it with other notes in different rhythm. It's unreadable.

    In general, I would recommend to write music, it needn't too many marks and comments. Otherwise, it is an excercise for players, difficult to play, but with no musical impact on audience.
    Petr,

    Thank you, sir! Since I am untrained, that is exactly what I was hoping for. Tearing apart what I had written... tips, advice would have been nice. Thank you for taking the time to answer. Never fear, I will not bother you again, until I get more schooling. My lack of schooling is my biggest deficit, and it will be remedied.
    Paul

    Prowland the posting Ninja

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •