• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: [Music] Kirk Hunter Chamber Strings

Share/Bookmark

[Music] Kirk Hunter Chamber Strings

I've never posted a piece before, but I thought others might be interested in the Kirk Hunter Chamber Strings in Emerald. I like the overall sound, but I had some trouble achieving a true legato and dynamic expression. I cheated with the basses and used KHSO Strings 6 basses, not the 2 in the Chamber Strings.

The piece is a concept piece for a film about the National Intelligence Agency that is set in Washington and Afghanistan. The film is not even shot yet, so I'm still playing with ideas. This is an anguished Adagio piece for the tragic ending.

http://www.johnmdavis.com/MP3/Miscel...%20Anguish.mp3

Re: [Music] Kirk Hunter Chamber Strings

I'm listening to this for the third time.
    I guess the review is pretty much self-explanatory.

Hey man, that's a beautiful composition and you did a great job on mixing the strings... It sounds extremely realistic... Kirk should put this up on his site as an example of how good his strings can sound... Are you using the Gigastudio version or Kontakt version?

Sounds really like a tragedy.
    Excellent work!

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

Thanks for the nice comments. It is the Kontakt version. I just wish there was a mod wheel dynamic instrument so that I could get better dynamic range, but I love the sound. It sounds like something this low budget film could actually afford to record with live players. I added a little of the Berliner Philharmonic Hall in Altiverb, and then did some not very sophisticated mastering in Waveburner. The theme (really just the three rising notes) is the B section of the action music, which I may post later.

Sounds Great !!..I really enjoyed the mix, and the piece .....Well done ....Sincerely, Jim

I like what I hear!! Reminds me of Barber's Adagio for Strings.

Quote Originally Posted by JMDNYC
    I had some trouble achieving a true legato and dynamic expression. I cheated with the basses and used KHSO Strings 6 basses, not the 2 in the Chamber Strings.
    I have KHSO Emerald and I'm very dissapointed at how unusable the strings and woodwinds are at anything resembling legato. The attack times are too slow and choppy for faster passages (not to mention the heavy attacks on the legato patches).

I had an idea to fix this, but it'd take months to complete. Extract the wav's from the .gs or .nki file, copy off the attack, and crossfade the attack with the sustain portion, possibly with a mod wheel control to control the attack volume/time.

Quote Originally Posted by ataricom
    ....Extract the wav's from the .gs or .nki file...
    How would you go about doing that - specifically the .nki file?

Quote Originally Posted by ataricom
    crossfade the attack with the sustain portion, possibly with a mod wheel control to control the attack volume/time.
    The KHSO library is already programmed so! You could try testing with those instruments named "24VnsEsp_Marc_ModSoftAttk" or something similar (I am using the GS version)

Cheers,
    Frankie
    Dell Precision T3500 (Xeon W3520, 12GB RAM) / Windows 7 x64 / Sonar 8 / VE Pro / WIVI 2.3 / Kontakt 4 / G-Player 1.2

Beautiful! Inspiring composition and performance. You really know how to use this library.

This is the best demo I have heard for the KH Chamber Strings.

I have not heard any other library do something like this. I was not too interested in KHCS before, but now I am.

Go Back to forum