• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: CD drive question

Share/Bookmark

CD drive question

Hello,

In a new computer, I have found the CD drive causing crackling and noise whenever inserting an audio CD, commercial or home made. The drive causes this in any monitors connected to it.

I am replacing the drive.

The question is, when I loaded the orchestral samples, did this drive contaminate the quality of the samples?

Thanks for your help,
    jamiha

Re: CD drive question

Quote Originally Posted by jamiha
    Hello,

In a new computer, I have found the CD drive causing crackling and noise whenever inserting an audio CD, commercial or home made. The drive causes this in any monitors connected to it.

The question is, when I loaded the orchestral samples, did this drive contaminate the quality of the samples?

Thanks for your help,
    jamiha
    Most likely no. Transferring samples to your PC is usually a data transfer.
    However, if the CDR Drive is actually faulty then it is possible that some data was corrupted during the transfer.

I suspect the problem with your audio is most likely the program you're using to play the audio rather than the actual physical drive.
    You'll know soon enough if you've already ordered a new drive.

Thanks Steve,

I am using a Delta 66. Thanks for the reply. Should know by Monday.

best,
    tony

Hello,

Thanks for your help,
    jamiha
    Do you run a cable from your CD to the motherboard? Or do you have Enable Digital..... in the properties in your CD drive.

They only way to know if your samples are corrutped is to test them.

Hey Kitekrazy,
    Thanks for the interest. I have played a couple of samples on the virtual keyboard under the direction of a technician. The quick tests seemed to be ok. The problem is that I am not familiar with the samples enough to judge the sound as normal. The tech's inquiry was meant to verify that the sound card was functioning. Checking it out in the audio portion of the control panel, it appeared to be correctly connected.
    The quick test on the speakers was to verify if it was a speaker problem. I have purchased Event Precision 8's and the technician there was perplexed that two speakers out of the box would both be defective. You probably know that Event takes a great pride in the quality of their speakers. I had hooked up the new speakers to my old computer and got no crackling or distortion. I hooked up my old speakers to the new computer and got the same crackling and distortion that occured on the new speakers. (I have used the old speakes for five years without distortion.) This was to determine if it was the speakers. It appeared as though it was not a speaker problem.
    So I ordered a Plextor ide drive at the suggesion of the first tech who had tested the computer on his bench. It is saturday night, three days later and the Burner I ordered for second day air is no where to be seen and no notification of shipment has been posted. When it arrives, if it arrives, I will put it in and see if the problem is solved.

My original question was, can a defective CD/DVD drive corrupt the samples I have transferred onto my sample drives? The answer before your post was that it was a data transfer, not an audio transfer and so the samples probably would not be corrupted. My concern is, should I erase all the samples and start again with the new CD/DVD drive.

That is where I am at this time.

Thanks for looking at this post,
    best.
    tony

Hey Kitekrazy,

My original question was, can a defective CD/DVD drive corrupt the samples I have transferred onto my sample drives? The answer before your post was that it was a data transfer, not an audio transfer and so the samples probably would not be corrupted. My concern is, should I erase all the samples and start again with the new CD/DVD drive.

That is where I am at this time.

Thanks for looking at this post,
    best.
    tony
    Audio is still data. Corrupt audio is corrupt data.

I would hurt to over write the samples. On one rare occaision I did have a corrupt file transferring from on hard drive to another.

A good sign if corrupt samples would be that it crashes your sampler. That's how I came to the conclusion from above. I had one file crash Gigastudio. I removed the file and reinstalled it. Problem fixed.

Hi Kitecrazy,

The new DVD/ CD drive is in place -- no cigar. Still got the crackles and pops. Checking the properties of the drive, it is enabled (checked). Don't see any audio or digital cable that fits the pin configuration to connect to the motherboard.

Back to the search for an answer.

tony
    Last edited by jamiha; 08-07-2006 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Just a bump to see if anyone might have an idea?

jamiha

Hi Kitecrazy,

The new DVD/ CD drive is in place -- no cigar. Still got the crackles and pops. Checking the properties of the drive, it is enabled (checked). Don't see any audio or digital cable that fits the pin configuration to connect to the motherboard.

Back to the search for an answer.

tony
    Plug in some headphones in to the DVD drive and see if the result is the same.

You haven't said, that I can tell, what software, if any, is running when this happens. It sounds like when you insert a CD some program or driver is initializing the audio system. For example, when you insert an audio CD Windows (this is a PC, no?) probably says "Hey, this is an audio CD; start up the audio system", loads your soundcard driver and maybe even a media player. Then you get a crackle through the audio system as it is initialized.

It is highly likely that this is a driver problem, and other than the initial crackle it is completely harmless. Used to be when I started playback in Audacity (a Mac audio editor) I'd get nothing but a bit of silence and a crackle for the first second and a quarter. My solution was to move the audio a second and a half down the timeline, play it, and move the audio back. Very tedious. I blamed it on Audacity. Then I replaced my M-audio firewire audio interface with a POD Pro and I no longer have this problem. I suspect it was the M-audio driver, combined with Audacity requesting unnecessarily initialization of the audio system on every playback.

Update the Delta66 drivers to the latest if you haven't already done so. Try a different card if you have one. Turn off automatic playing of CDs if you haven't already, or tell it to use a different media player if you can. Or if there are no other symptoms just ignore it.

Amy

Go Back to forum