• Register
  • Help

Topic: Russian Choirs

Share/Bookmark

Russian Choirs

Does anyone know of any good libraries of Russian Choirs? Preferably phrases, since its the stylistic elements (slides between chords, etc) which can't be approximated with other choral libraries.

Re: Russian Choirs

Haven't tried this one, but it might be what you're looking for:

http://www.russiansounds.com

-Arya

Pingu,
    It's worth making a distinction here (generally) between 'ethnic' Russian Choirs, (music from the Urals, Siberia, Kazakstan, North East, etc...) and European Russian Choirs (Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Volgograd, Nizhky-Novgorod, Samara, etc.) which, as the name implies, sounds more 'formal' and 'western european' in tone and elocution.

I can assure you, having listened to both varieties live, recently, there is a difference. Even the choice of material exacts a noticable change of vocal production.
    If you're looking for the more nasal qualities of a choir, then it's worth including in this, music from Azarbaijan, etc., as this country, with Dagestan and Kyrgzstan, is often heard as the 'link' between Arabic and European choral production, although it's certainly more Persian than European.

Alex.

Thanks to both of you. I think I actually meant more the St Petersburg, 'Red Army' type sound but I'll definitely be buying the Russian Sounds disc as well.

If I remember right, Best Service Halleluyah http://www.bestservice.de/detail.asp...81p227p119p185 also features some vocals from Russia...

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Thanks to both of you. I think I actually meant more the St Petersburg, 'Red Army' type sound but I'll definitely be buying the Russian Sounds disc as well.
    Gotcha.
    And the Red Army (now 'officially' the Choir of the Russian Federation Military) choir are magnificent live. A great sound from a highly disciplined ensemble.
    You can buy recordings that still refer to them as the Red Army Choir, so if you're of a mind to purchase CD's, both names are the same choir.

Worth knowing that the Russian Militia (police) have their own wonderful choir too, numbering some 150 singers. I've heard them in the Tchaikovsky hall in the Moscow Conservatory.

Also worth knowing that Russians are very fond of Beethoven too, and i was privileged enough to hear live the Russian Philharmonic doing the Ninth Symphony, with the Red Army choir, in Dom Musika, a new state of the art concert hall here in Moscow. It was magnificent, and the russian voices doing germanic music was a profound success.

And for that classic 'Western Russia' choir sound, try finding a song called Smuglianka (pronounced Smooglianka). Fantastic.

Good Luck,

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    Also worth knowing that Russians are very fond of Beethoven too, and i was privileged enough to hear live the Russian Philharmonic doing the Ninth Symphony, with the Red Army choir, in Dom Musika, a new state of the art concert hall here in Moscow. It was magnificent, and the russian voices doing germanic music was a profound success.
    Man. I'll bet that was one heck of a concert.

Go Back to forum