• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: E3 Finished?!

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy E3 Finished?!

Next Generation is reporting that the E3 industry event, in its present form, has been cancelled for next year and the foreseeable future.
    "The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) shindig has been a staple of game industry life since the mid-1990s. However, we understand the larger exhibitors have jointly decided that the costs of the event do not justify the returns, generally measured in media exposure.

Publishers believe the multi-million dollar budgets would be better spent on more company-focused events that bring attention to their own product lines rather than the industry as a whole.

Well placed sources say the news that larger exhibitors were pulling out had prompted urgent meetings among publishing executives. They decided that, without the support of the larger software publishers and hardware manufacturers, there would be no point in continuing.

ESA president Doug Lowenstein will likely announce the news some time within the next 48 hours, possibly on Monday. It's likely that the ESA will seek to limit the damage by organizing some form of lesser event in May, possibly even with the E3 brand, but this will be no more than a fig-leaf. The days of an industry event attended by all the major publishers, spending big money, are gone."

Re: E3 Finished?!

Interesting. And gamesindustry.biz was just saying as of 7/27/2006:

"E3, in a sense, will always be the spiritual home of the videogames industry. Based on the west coast of the United States along with many of the publishers which dominate the market, this orgiastic spectacle of noise, flashing lights and incredibly awful convention centre food is likely to be the hub around which the industry's calendar rotates for many years to come.
    As such, the unending string of events which are set up by the press or by their organisers as a "local E3" for their territory are always bound to compare unfavourably with the real thing. British events such as the now-deceased ECTS and the Game Stars Live / EGN duo, also since deceased, only ever invited ridicule when compared to the scale of E3, and even the long-running Tokyo Games Show pales alongside the annual jamboree in Los Angeles.
    The thing about those events is that, by comparison with E3, they are all resolutely local - to the extent of being almost parochial in some respects, especially when you look at smaller shows such as Korea's fascinating, but heavily locally focused, G*. E3 may be the trade show for North America, but it also has a fair stab at being the trade show for the world, serving as it does as the venue for any technology, IP or platform hoping to break into the worldwide market to strut its stuff."

It will be interesting to see what develops.
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Hmmm. Could be true. I was finally planning on going this year too. It is a shame that it might not exist anymore.

Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

I'm actually glad that it's finished.

One less demo we have to crunch for to get it ready in time for E3.

The entire development cycle of a game is affected by E3, if the pub/dev plans on showing it there, and if it ends up not being a good return on your investment then there's no need to put everyone through that.

the opposite thinking is that crunching for demos kicks teams into overdrive and they end up actually working instead of spending the afternoon at Starbuck's and logged into WoW. If I were a producer I might agree with that however non-productive teams are a sign of bad scheduling/estimating/managing (don't laugh anybody who's been in games for a while). Just my 2 cents.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

bad scheduling/estimating/managing in the game industry? no way...

That's a bummer for me. E3 is the only industry event I ever go to. I'd hate to have to travel all the way up to San Jose every year just to get my geek fix.

imo, if E3 is cancelled any other of the smaller events will grow until it takes its place

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/newsroom/view/63629

The ESA has spoken. Looks like it's not done, but it will be drastically different in the future.

EA is leading the charge...well, that's not surprising. They dump millions into E3 just so bloggers can trash their latest sequel rehash on the intarweb. I'll bet any amount of money that Sony had a little something to do with this decision as well.

According to gearlong blog:

CES Spinoff Could Be E3 Replacement

"The CEA notes that over 11 percent of its attendees this past January were interested in gaming. Gary Shapiro, the CEA's president and CEO, said the organization has been "deluged with inquiries on whether we could fill the tradeshow needs of smaller video entertainment companies." So the CEA is forming an advisory committee "to solicit gaming industry feedback and explore the viability of a West Coast event in late spring 2007 focused on the gaming and entertainment marketplace."

Go Back to forum