• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Linear Battle/Action Cue - Sentry Battle

Share/Bookmark

Linear Battle/Action Cue - Sentry Battle

I thought I would share my newest piece.

It is titled Sentry Battle and is a linear battle/action cue that I could imagine being used in a FPS like Half Life 2, Black, or some other heavily story driven game. I would imagine that this music would be used during a rather intense scene. It is loopable, and loops near the end and fades out.

The piece was written in one day and uses EWQLSO Orchestra Platinum Pro, VSL, SAM Brass, Storm Drum, RA, some custom samples and some tweaked scripts.

Sentry Battle

http://www.seanbeeson.com/music/Acti...try_Battle.mp3

Cheers,
    Sean Beeson

Re: Linear Battle/Action Cue - Sentry Battle

I like it very much.

Pretty good - impressive you could write that in one day.

Hey Sean,
    Really nice! Hope all is well with you.
    Benny

Excellent!! nothing to criticize...

Thanks for the comments. I think I might be a little bass heavy at times. But then again, a lot of my pieces are, so it could be my monitors.

Cheers,
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

ahhhhhhh.......really good stuff

I hear what you mean about the bass. I don't think it's a case of too much bass but rather an issue of balance between the lows and highs. You've done a great job with the dynamics and the bass hits right where it should and when it should. I would just expect to get the same dynamics around the 1k and 2k frequencies with some of the brass swells. There's so much power in this music that when you hear those brass swells and accented brass you want them to be almost on the verge of piercing.

I might just be hearing the loss of highs from the compression. I mean, I'm sure you lost a little bit of the highs when you compressed it. I wish I could hear the .wav

I feel like a bastard even commenting on this because it's a really stellar production man. Good job.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

It could also be the convolution I am using. I have a customized impulse and I plug it into K2, which might not be the best convolution.

Cheers,
    Sean Beeson
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com

Have you tried messing around with the frequency response in the verb? I've found that many many presets in verbs have too much low end response and they muddy up my mixes. I mean, if you think it might be the verb then adjusting the frequency response should verify that pretty quick.

You have a lot of percussion going on. During the section with the repeating timp rolls you can hear a lot of bass coming from them. During the little drum feature at 0:52 there is a lot of bass coming from one of the percussive instruments. It might be the toms but I'm not sure. Anyway, attenuating the low end of those a bit (or a bit more) might clarify the low end of the mix and create a better balance.

Are you using any other verbs? I can hear different responses but they might just be far-mic'd samples.

Don't mind my scrutinizing. I'm very interested in getting professional quality mixes out of a computer and it's tough. There are so many considerations. I've been using Cubase for 10 years now and was engineering for a few years before that and I still learn new things everyday. It's a really good mix as it is and if you can improve on it at all and I had something to do with it....then I've accomplished something too
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

I have the bass slightly eq'd as well. Perhaps with the verb, it is too much. Well once I land a big gig, I might need to hire a professional mixer
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com

Go Back to forum