• Register
  • Help

Topic: piece brought to fruition because of RK's Principles of Orchestration

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb piece brought to fruition because of RK's Principles of Orchestration

Hello everyone,

Some of you have heard this in the listening room, but there are some combinations of instruments that, I think, turned out very well. There were also combinations that did not turn out as well as I had hoped. If anyone wants to know what the combinations were at any given time just let me know. There are many do's and don't's in this piece, and I hope that everyone learns something from what I did here... I know that I learned a lot... for that matter, I learn something every time I write.

untitled

Thank you for listening,
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Thumbs up Re: piece brought to fruition because of RK's Principles of Orchestration

Awesome violin!! It all sounds great Paul, and that violin is extra great, what did you use for that?

David

Re: piece brought to fruition because of RK's Principles of Orchestration

David,

That was the Strad KS from the full GPO. I finally started using the portamento CC... which, if I remember correctly, is #20. I wasn't sure if it sounded natural, but everyone seems to really like the part... so I guess it sounds fairly natural. LOL Thanks for the compliment! Are you close to posting something other that the exercises? I'm looking forward to you using what you have been learning. Hasn't it been amazing how much easier it is to understand the priciples when you have an audio example? I know that when I started working through the book, I got confused about the effect that a combination would bring. Now, after hearing the examples, it is so much clearer to me.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment.
    Paul

Yes it is amazing, I haven't bought the book yet, I will be getting it though. This is actually the first time I have studied music so having to cram a lot of things. The course is teaching me a lot and i have so much gratitude for all the people who made it possible. I havent yet even played with the portamento CC, because learning Finale has been a full plate for me, but I'm beginning to get it. I have a thread here, down several threads from this one, that is a slight expansion on an exercise.

I have one I'm working on and will soon post part of it, I think posting the whole is not going to be very soon. It's a total rebuilding of a midi recording I did a while back using the new skills i have hopefully acquired.

David

HI
    Thanks for posting your work. It is helpful to hear what others are doing because it takes the example sounds and extends them for more listening and places them in a contemporary setting - more importantly, in your personal workshop. Allowing us to share that intimate work gives a feeling of a creative bond to support a lone and singular kind of work.

I guess if we were the old impressionists of Paris, it would be akin to meeting for coffee and planning field trips to paint together to learn from each other.

Another analogy is in the instance of winemaking. There is a condition of becoming a cellar taster, that is, you get used to your own product and are unable to test it critically. Hence, meeting with other makers, or at least sampling other wines, refreshes the possibilities and techniques of improvement. (Also a agreat rationale for winos)

Thanks for sharing the work as it is being produced. It's a great rationale for being an amateur composer. My day will be better for it.

tony hartmann

David and Tony,

I certainly hope that hearing my work helped learn some do's and don't's of orchestration. Of course, in the end you have to trust your ear to tell you if something is right or wrong. Sometimes, I think my ear may be working for someone else... someone who really does not like me! LOL Let the wine tasting continue... I have heard one of David's... What about you, Tony? Let help each other here... or in the listening room. There are a lot of great people in there who have been nothing but supportive of my writing... even when it was crap!

Thanks for listening,
    Paul

Paul,

My work would probably remind you of that very bad ear person who obviously has at least two relatives living in my monitors. I do not have a website and only post the lessons through the courtesy of G. Garritan's hosting.

I will look into creating a personal website with the possibility of orchestral composers like yourself willing to exchange ideas. Meanwhile, back to the decibelic dumb-down.

tony

Tony,

If you need help finding a hosting site, then give a yell and we'll come a'runnin'.

Seriously, for a good laugh...do a search of all my posts... go to the first couple, and listen to what I was posting on here. I went through a phase where I doubted whether I could ever get the hang of this new medium. After a while, I got so down about it all... I had to post some of my rock/jazz-ish/wierd stuff just so I would feel like a musician again. Your writing will only get stronger the more you do it! I am living proof of that, and God knows I've got a lot left to learn. I will probably still learn something new everyday... until I die. That is true of anyone here. If they think they know it all... that is just pride talking. Even a musical genius, like Mozart or Beethoven, continues learning throughout their lives. Do not let it get you down... we are in great company here and in Time. Musical students... learning from the past and the present! Enjoy the ride, I know I am!
    Paul

I don't think you have a bad ear Tony, i liked the bass exersize you posted, and it was more complex than most of them and was very interesting.

David

Go Back to forum