• Register
  • Help

Topic: MelGroups + English Horn and Alto Flutes Solos

Share/Bookmark

MelGroups + English Horn and Alto Flutes Solos

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/Leaf...+MelGroups.mp3
    edit: replaced with newer version, some parts repaired, some parts changed, some still being reworked.

While playing with lesson 10's first exercise background score, I used Finale to repeat those four meaures for more length, kinda like loops, and well one thing lead to another and now it is 33 measures of it with some lazy summer afternoon music on top.

It's directly from Finale's save as wav, then converted to mp3 with itunes, I don't have the recording skills yet so it sounds best with volume moderately low.

I'll post the pdf and details of the groups used with the finished mp3 after I do some more tweeking and also add some players, so English Horn player and his or her friends can take a breath.

Now when I listen to it, it sounds familiar, so don't know if this melody is similar to something that someone has already done. I used to listen to a radio station called smooth jazz while I slept, so maybe something was implanted in my head. It seems unlikely you could end up with a copy of someone's elses work by moving notes around on a Finale page that started by hitting a few notes on a keyboard, so maybe it sounds familiar because while working on it you end up playing it about a hundred times. I sure hope that's what it is.

So the title of this tune could maybe be "I can't believe I'm writing music."

David

Critiques and suggestions are welcome as well as admonitions by professors.

Re: MelGroups + English Horn and Alto Flutes Solos

David,

Good job on this! It is better than my early attempt at posting here!!

etLux used to tell me, on everything I wrote, that I should tweak the dynamics. I, finally, took his advice, and the results were so much more musical. Crescendos and decrescendos...hairpins really made my music breath and come to life. I still am learning how to use that bit of advice. Anyway, your piece and most of my work suffer from the same problem... they sound kind of static. Mind you, my work had it worse than your's does. When I go back and listen to those earlier pieces... oooohhh, they were so bad. Your work was not bad. However, it could use some tweaking. Like I said... dynamics! You might also try using the articulations... put one on notes of various lengths and see what effect it has on the playback. At the very least, that sort of thing gave me ideas about melodic development... I am sure you would have the same learning experience with it that I did. etLux, who is another David, is a big proponent of using a lot of articulations... I have been increasing my use of them, and it has made my work sound more "realistic". Anyway, I look forward to hearing more of your work!
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Prowland
    David,

Good job on this! It is better than my early attempt at posting here!!

etLux used to tell me, on everything I wrote, that I should tweak the dynamics. I, finally, took his advice, and the results were so much more musical. Crescendos and decrescendos...hairpins really made my music breath and come to life. I still am learning how to use that bit of advice. Anyway, your piece and most of my work suffer from the same problem... they sound kind of static. Mind you, my work had it worse than your's does. When I go back and listen to those earlier pieces... oooohhh, they were so bad. Your work was not bad. However, it could use some tweaking. Like I said... dynamics! You might also try using the articulations... put one on notes of various lengths and see what effect it has on the playback. At the very least, that sort of thing gave me ideas about melodic development... I am sure you would have the same learning experience with it that I did. etLux, who is another David, is a big proponent of using a lot of articulations... I have been increasing my use of them, and it has made my work sound more "realistic". Anyway, I look forward to hearing more of your work!
    Thanks very much for listening and those kind comments, Paul, and most of all thanks fo the advise on improving. I'll certainly focus on learning how to apply the note articulations, etLux's work is a very good testament to the effectiveness of them and the realism they provide, and your violins are high on my list for trying to achieve not only the realism but the melodic beauty. I'll try the articulations a little for right now, as I'm still building a foundation of the basics of notation, but can't wait to focus more time in that area.

David

David,

It doesn't take long to really get going writing! If you compare the early stuff I posted to the latest stuff, then you will notice a marked improvement. I only started writing this stuff in January of 2006... not to long agao. I was a rock'n'roll guy before that... if I can make the switch, anyone can!! Of course, it could all be signs of the end of the world!

1. Paul writes for the orchestra!
    2. Oprah loses weight...
    3. ...and so on
    ...Good Lord!!! It is all coming true... Run for your lives!!! The end is near... the end.

Bwa-Ha-Haaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Seriously, David, trust your ear and write.
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Go Back to forum