• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO in Sewuencer volumes when soloing

Share/Bookmark

GPO in Sewuencer volumes when soloing

I guess I had originally posted this in the wrong forum. So, I will try here to see if I can get some feedback.

For a sewuencer, I am using Tracktion2. When I solo a track to record mod wheel movements, the sound coming from my speakers is weak and soft. When I play back the track as a soloed track, it sounds a little louder but with minimal volume changes (even if I have moved the mod wheel the full range it can go). However, when I play the track unsoloed with other tracks, it immediately plays very loud and sometimes past distortion.

This has been a problem all along and I have dealt with it by guessing how much to move the mod wheel (without actually hearing it).

Is anyone having this problem also? I have tried it in Cubase 3.5 with the same issues.

Any help would be appreciated.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: GPO in Sewuencer volumes when soloing

I'm not familiar with Traction so I can't give you specifics there. I took some time tonight to see if I could get the kind of behavior you describe in Sonar. I couldn't. Solo levels were identical to non-solo levels. Overdubbing mod wheel data worked fine and I could hear the part as I overdubbed.

So, I tried CubaseSE (the only Cubase product I have installed) and was able to see the problem with overdubbing. Solo and non-solo levels were still identical in my system. As to the recording of mod wheel data and hearing the results in real-time: I suspect that Cubase has a preference setting somewhere concerning the way it records data to a single track and how to monitor existing data, but I didn't find it in SE. There is an easy workaround though: Whenever you wish to make a second pass to add mod wheel data choose a second (empty) midi track, set it to the same midi channel as the one containing the note data, and solo both tracks at the same time. If you have the new track highlighted you will record the mod wheel data to the new track while being able to hear the note data in the first track. Merge the two after you are satisfied with the result. You can probably do something similar in Traction.

I would also suggest disabling the "Use cc7 and cc10" option in the player's Options menu and setting levels using the player's volume knobs. If the discrepancy between solo and non-solo persists I would try to examine the routing of the solo bus to see if the bus level can be adjusted.

Tom

Rich

have no knowledge of cubase or Traction2, just wanted to say Hi!

Barrie

Tom,

Thanks for the great comments. I will give your ideas a try and let you know what happens. I really appreciate the time you take to respond to these questions. You are "the man"!

Rich

Barrie,

I'm glad you dropped a note.

HI!

Rich

Tom,

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. I did as you suggested and still had some trouble with mod wheel recording but not sounding in response to the mod wheel. Upon further investigation, it turns out that the midi connection to my keyboard (in tracktion) was set to channel 1 as default. So, though I was recording the mod wheel (or pedal and anything else), if I wasn't on channel 1 for that particular instrument, I heard no response to my action. After setting the midi channel correctly to the corresponding channel on the GPO instrument...VOILA! all was as it should be. I guess it's attention to detail an awareness of your sequencer that makes all the difference.

I realize everyones setup as to keyboards, sound cards, mixers, computers, etc. makes your job a decidedly difficult one. Again thanks for the patience you demonstrate time and time again in dealing with all of us out here. You and Gary make quite a formidable pair.

Rich

Go Back to forum