• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Workflow Question

Share/Bookmark

GPO Workflow Question

I am getting closer to being able to purchase a new computer and returning to the fray (yeah!). My main software will be Finale 2007 once it is released (am on 2002), and Sonar for any subsequent midi editing, if needed (I much prefer working in notation). GPO will be the library of choice (and possibly the GM library once it is released). Once the system is built and configured, I expect to leave it alone, adding little by way of additional software (maybe Kontakt 2) or sounds, as maintaining stability will be extra crucial for me, as I have great difficulty tweaking anything.

My question is simply this: For Finale, and for possible sequencing in Sonar, are the included GPO sounds in Finale adequate - especially coupled with human playback, or do the additional instruments and articulations of the full GPO possess greater advantage? Some posts in another thread seem to indicate that the included sounds are enough (something I had not thought about), and include solo string programs not in the full GPO. OTOH, I could picture myself building sections, especially strings, instrument by instrument - the full GPO would be of great benefit there.

Any thoughts or comments? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Re: GPO Workflow Question

Full GPO has more instruments, f.ex. 3 solo violins as opposed to Finale GPO's 1. That alone makes full GPO the better option. Finale GPO (latest version) can not be used outside Finale - full GPO can. This should be important to you, if you plan to export to Sonar.

Re: GPO Workflow Question

Thanks Nickie, that answers my question. I had talked to a sales person over at MakeMusic, and it looks like I was given some outdated information. He had said that the bundled Finale sounds could be used in any application, and that struck me as being rather odd (i.e. a way to lose significant revenue streams).

Looks like I will need to plan on buying the full GPO, when I am able to purchase the new computer. Supporting a company/person (Mr. G) who is ethical, supportive of the community, and not to mention flat out nice, there is a concept.

Jim

Go Back to forum