• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Study abroad... where to go?

Share/Bookmark

Study abroad... where to go?

Hello everyone,

The college I will be attending this fall (only a few more weeks to go!) encourages study abroad for the short term (January). The question is where to go? I have never been to Great Britain nor Ireland... of course Viena would be cool, as well.

My question really is... which college has the coolest music comp courses for the short term? Music for film would also be good. Anyway, I am thinking one of 3 possible locations: London, Edinborough, or Viena. Which would ya'll recommend? Or for that matter, if ya'll have another place in mind, then let me know!

There is not a real time constraint on this... I will not get to go until my senior year, but if I can get the paperwork done a year or two in advance so much the better. I do not even know what the policy for other colleges for exchanges like this.

Thank you all for any help you can give,
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Question Re: Study abroad... where to go?

No ideas, folks?
    Paul

Re: Study abroad... where to go?

London, Edinburgh or Vienna is a tough choice as they are all great cities.

Napier University in Edinburgh has a film music school starting up and being headed by Hummie Mann. The Royal Academy in the UK would be a great place to study. And Vienna has a long and rich musical tradition.

There are various factors to consider such as costs, what area of music you are studying and language (especially Vienna). This sounds like a wonderful opportunity and I wish all the best with your studies.

Gary Garritan

Cant speak about Vienna too much..........except to recommend the coffee and cake.
    If money is a determining factor, keep in mind, London is Ludocrously Expensive.
    Edinburgh aint cheap, but its gotta be better than London. And you will be able to add expertise in fine malt whiskey to your C.V. ( Dont laugh, it may get you a gig one day.)

regards Joe

Thank you, Gary and Joe,

I speak a little German now... and more again after 3 and a half years in college. I was sure that london would be very expensive. Edinborough would be pretty sweet. Of course, in the intervening years, I could end up almost anywhere. Part of going back to school is expanding my horizons. Since I travelled when I was in my twenty's, I am very open to many cultural experiences. If anyone has any advice on how to get funding, where to go, or whatever, then let me know. I have a couple of years before I need concrete plans... until then I'll play it by ear!

Cheers,
    Paul

Korg,

I will have to look into schools out there. For that matter, I should also check into Prague... the last time I was there was in 1994.

Thank you for the suggestion! Budapest would be awsome.

Did you have a certain school in mind?
    Paul

Prowland,

In London you can attend to the Royal Academy, that is one of the most important schools in Europe. However, as others pointed out, London is awfully expensive for living in.

In Germany, Cologne has an excellent school of music (http://www.mhs-koeln.de/), as has Frankfurt (http://www.hfmdk-frankfurt.de/) and other towns. I'm also thinking of Berlin, Würzburg, Hanover, Essen, but I hope some German colleague will answer.

Paris has an excellent Conservatory. In addition, it is the seat of the Ensemble Intercontemporain, that has interns from time to time. Living in Paris may be not too expensive, if you book in great advance. Youth lodgings is of a good quality.

I don't know much of the University of Music and the several other schools in Wien, but classic music tradition in this town is sort of a religion.

East Europe is inexpensive, and has a strong tradition in classic music. Prague and Budapest, as well as Warsaw, are the first names that come to mind. I fear Moscow and St. Petersburg are a bit on the expensive side, but I don't know enough about them.

Paolo

Paolo,
    Thank you for the information. At this point, these are all dreams. I have a couple of years to decide and put in the proper paperwork. I lived in Germany when I was in my 20's and enjoyed it. Language might be a problem in some of the locations, since I only speak english and some german. If I decide to go somewhere where I do not speak the language, then I can always take classes when I start school. Either way, I do not have to decide until my junior year.

Youth lodging may not be an option for me. I am 34 years old now... and will be 37 by the time I head out on this undertaking. Ah, the joys of going back to college later in life!

Anyway, thank you, Paolo. Perhaps, I should check into Italia, as well?
    Paul

Hi Paul,

I lived in Germany when I was in my 20's and enjoyed it. Language might be a problem in some of the locations, since I only speak english and some german.
    While young Germans speak English, older people might ignore it. This could really be a problem, despite the general attitude to help. Since Germany has an outstanding music teaching system, I suggest you attend to some language course now, to improve on the skills you already have.

BTW, Cologne is a town of movie and TV production. I bet there are classes of film music at their school.

Perhaps, I should check into Italia, as well?
    Fabio may jump here, and tell you something more. We have great teachers, but it is a disaster where schools are concerned. You can see if there are particular teachers you like, and see if they can be reached at a course out of the Conservatory.

I personally attend to composition courses kept by Alessandro Solbiati at the "Scuola Civica di Musica" in Milan (with the best Italian ensemble of contemporary music playing some of the classworks). Salvatore Sciarrino sometimes teaches at Città di Castello. Hans Werner Henze should still have his school near Rome. If you like neo-Romantic music, Azio Corghi teaches at Rome (probably at the "Accademia ~~~~onale S.Cecilia").

http://www.scuolecivichemilano.it/xm...ma4-/lingua-IT
    http://www.santacecilia.it/scw/servl...ia=01.18.01.02

Unfortunately, I dont' know of courses kept by Ennio Morricone, but it maight be.

Paolo

I studied a broad for a while then finally married her. OK, OK, I retract.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum