• Register
  • Help

Topic: Where do you insert mastering plugins in your workflow?

Share/Bookmark

Where do you insert mastering plugins in your workflow?

Hello All,

I'm trying to practice this whole "mastering" thing and need some advice.

I download the demo of Ozone and was wondering where would be the best place to load it up.

I have a track per instrument and a bus per section (and I'm not 100% sure I even set that up right). Do you guys load something like Ozone on each track, each bus, and/or the final mix?

I'm reading through their pdfs (which are great btw) so maybe some of these questions will be answered there, but I'm still interested in what you guys do.

Thanks
    JP Garbarini
    http://musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Re: Where do you insert mastering plugins in your workflow?

My impression is that Ozone will bring your system to its knees if you attempt to use it on multiple tracks in a project.

It is a mastering suite. It is intended to add final compression/eq/etc. to the final stereo (or surround) wave. I think some people use it on the master buss, though.

jeffn1

Quote Originally Posted by JPGIII
    Hello All,

I'm trying to practice this whole "mastering" thing and need some advice.

I download the demo of Ozone and was wondering where would be the best place to load it up.

I have a track per instrument and a bus per section (and I'm not 100% sure I even set that up right). Do you guys load something like Ozone on each track, each bus, and/or the final mix?

I'm reading through their pdfs (which are great btw) so maybe some of these questions will be answered there, but I'm still interested in what you guys do.

Thanks
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

If I may ask. Did you use the Demo before purchasing?
    Styxx

Ozone is designed to be used on complete mixes, placed in the path after the master fader - i.e. it's the last thing (or last series of things) the signal sees. You can read about what it does in the manual.

However, you can often use peak limiters to get some nasty sounds on drums - as an effect, in other words.

Thanks for the info.

If I may ask. Did you use the Demo before purchasing?
    I haven't purchased it yet. Just working with the demo.

zone is designed to be used on complete mixes, placed in the path after the master fader - i.e. it's the last thing (or last series of things) the signal sees. You can read about what it does in the manual.
    Thanks. That's where I figured it'd go. I'm still reading the PDFs from the website. Lots of info there to read through.
    JP Garbarini
    http://musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Mastering is the combining of mixes into a single presentation. So, if you are not creating a full album, or other collection of individual pieces, then mastering plugins or processes should not be used at all. Contrary to popular belief, mastering is not the final stage of mixing. A mix should be 100% complete with no mastering. Mastering is actually a compromise, taking the best possible mixes of different things, and making them live with each other and sound like a cohesive whole.

Go Back to forum