• Register
  • Help

Topic: just a bit more help

Share/Bookmark

just a bit more help

I've probably been asking too many questions regarding my computer purchases.....

Anyways the last one is, this computer has higher specs then others which have the same price. Is it just a good deal or are their inferior parts used for some things?

Re: just a bit more help

Not too bad for a retail machine.

I'm no expert, but everything looks pretty decent. It doesn't say what brand of parts it uses though, so I can't say anything on that front.

What are you going to use this for?

I mean... you could definitely build a "better" machine for the same price. Remember that money is being put into assembly and testing when you go retail, as well as a software package you may not care as much about.

Personally, when I install windows, I like to install almost nothing but the basic OS stuff -- it keeps my machine running faster and lets me only slow it down with the software I need.

This is probably a good buy if you're not comfortable assembling your own computer.
    - Dan

What are you going to use this for?
    General use and occasional amateur music composition (which is why the 2048gb of ram sounded appealing).

That could be a problem, depending on what you want to use for interfaces.
    I'm going to use an M-Audio Delta 1010 LT.

ALso that price is in Can. dollars. So in USD it costs $787

p.s. Just to confirm, that machine has a PCI-Express slot as well as a PCI slot, right?

1 x PCI-E x16, 1 x PCI-E x1, 1 - PCI
    Maybe I don't know enough but I would assume it had two PCI-Express slots and one regular PCI, but I haven't bothered to read much about PCI-Express lately.

Or at least one PCI-Express slot and one... like... other PCI-Express interface.

You're not going to use a lot of what you're paying for here, and you could be wanting more if you get very serious.

It's a computer designed for students who like to listen to music and videos and will have a lot of USB peripherals.

What kind of software are you planning on using?
    - Dan

You're not going to use a lot of what you're paying for here
    You mean such as the XP Media Center?

What kind of software are you planning on using?
    Just the regular stuff, sample libraries, Cubase, and normal everyday programs.

and you could be wanting more if you get very serious.
    By the time I get serious I'll be wanting to get a new machine anyways (to keep up).

p.s. do you guys feel a pentium d (dual core) 2.8ghz is better?)

No, I've never felt that.

But then again, I haven't liked Pentiums since I was selling computers back in 2001. They really sucked back then.

Even if they don't anymore, I just don't feel that.
    - Dan

Go Back to forum