• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SOS 2006 Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin Article

Share/Bookmark

SOS 2006 Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin Article

Here's some of it:

pros
    It sounds uncannily like a real violin, with highly realistic legato, vibrato, portamento, glissando, and trills.
    Seamless morphing between four dynamic layers enables smooth-as-silk dynamic transitions.
    The controller options allow very expressive and emotive violin performances.
    Very good value for money.
    cons
    The tremolo simulation is not convincing.
    There are no long glissando, col legno, or artificial harmonics samples.
    summary
    If you're working with a modest budget and need a solo violin to add to an orchestral arrangement or to play on its own, Stradivari is the perfect solution. Although not a good bet for one-fingered programmers, it's a keyboard player's dream — it feels and sounds like a real instrument, and its expressive powers are second to none.

And this is the conclusion:

As you would rightly expect from a priceless, 300-year-old instrument, the Strad violin (played by Pauline Kim) has a rich, vibrant mature tone with plenty of depth and body. The bowing is smooth, assured, and free of inconsistencies right across the G2 to E6 range, resulting in a musically satisfying set of samples. When allied to Stradivari's technical innovations and advanced programming techniques, the raw sounds are transformed into a sophisticated and intelligent instrument which somehow manages to be more than the sum of its parts.
    Forget all the technical stuff — the most important fact about the Stradivari violin is that it's enormous fun to play, a salutary reminder of why we all got started in the music business in the first place! As ever, a little bit of keyboard technique helps, but though it can make you sound like a virtuoso, you don't have to study for years to play it. With a little practise, your fiddling will soon rival that of the Enron directors, and unlike Nicolo Paganini (the great 19th-century violinist whose phenomenal technique gave rise to rumours of diabolical assistance), you won't have to sell your soul to the devil to cover the cost of this expressive instrument.

Re: SOS 2006 Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin Article

the Strad violin (played by Pauline Kim) has a rich, vibrant mature tone with plenty of depth and body

I found this assesment of the tone, very interesting, in light of the recent discussion, on the tone of the Gofriller Cello.
    The criticisms currently being levelled at the Cello's Tone, ( Thin, Nasal, Metallic) were also levelled at the Stradi when it was first released.

I happen to agree that the tone of the Stradi can be a little nasal at times, but it has to be said that the tone of a real Stradivarius is also nasal at times. It is this highly focused sound that helps a Stradi soar above an orchestra.
    It cannot be overstated, that tone is an extremely subjective factor, when it comes to stringed instruments.

Nice Review.

regards Joe

The Garritan strad has a distinctive tone.

The tone is rich, warm, indeed can be slightly "nasal" at times.

But this is how a real violin sounds!

Our ears have been tricked into expecting our solo strings to have a more delicate, smooth, less harmonically-dense sound because of the preponderance of that type of sample in the majority of keyboards (ie synths etc) today. A real violin has all the characteristics of the strad, the sound of horsehair on strings, stings and sings......it can be delicate, but usually is poignant; rather achingly so....

I should know, I have played violin for over 25 years.

Nonetheless, I concede that the tone may not be the most suited to certain musical situations, but for realism, this is the current "gold standard"

Its kinda like your first bite of a sharp, aged, complex cheese....once you begin to appreciate the depth and complexity of flavour, you're hooked!

You will never like "cheez whiz" again!

The VSL violin to my ears has a more subdued, milder tone, not exactly what I like, but good nevertheless.

Peace

leadbelly

Quote Originally Posted by leadbelly
    The Garritan strad has a distinctive tone.

The tone is rich, warm, indeed can be slightly "nasal" at times.

But this is how a real violin sounds!

Our ears have been tricked into expecting our solo strings to have a more delicate, smooth, less harmonically-dense sound because of the preponderance of that type of sample in the majority of keyboards (ie synths etc) today. A real violin has all the characteristics of the strad, the sound of horsehair on strings, stings and sings......it can be delicate, but usually is poignant; rather achingly so....

I should know, I have played violin for over 25 years.
    leadbelly,

What you write is so true. The sample industry has done a disservice in creating a false reality. Processed homogenous sampled sounds have created an expectation of what a violin is 'supposed' to sound like. In reality a violin is sometimes harsh, sometimes nasal, sometimes bright and sometimes golden. We have attempted to provide these different sonorities with the Strad.

I look forward to hearing with someone of your experience has to offer. Please offer your insights and expertise as there is much we can learn from you. If we know what a real violinist does, the better we are able to emulate in the virtual world.

Thanks for your post.

gary Garritan

Unhappy Re: SOS 2006 Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin Article

Terrific review! Just what I needed.

I'm a bit disappointed at the upper end of the range, but really disappointed at the lack of artificial harmonics, which I use a lot.

From the demos I've heard I have to agree that the GSV sounds terrific, with all of the grittiness of a real violin. It sounds like it would be a blast to play. But given my extensive use of the altissimo range and artificial harmonics, it looks like I'll have to pass on it.

Too bad; I was going to ask for it for Xmas...

Dr. Dave,

Since the SOS review there is a new version out. Stradivari 2.0 has a "Lyrical" patch as well as a classic patch and may have more of the sound you are looking for.

Gary Garritan

Hi Gary,

Can you tell me more about the Lyrical patch, or point me to where the info is?

And thanks for the quick reply!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Dr. Dave,

Since the SOS review there is a new version out. Stradivari 2.0 has a "Lyrical" patch as well as a classic patch and may have more of the sound you are looking for.

Gary Garritan

Unhappy Re: SOS 2006 Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin Article

OK, I found a bit of information about the Lyrical violin at http://www.garritan.com/stradivari.html, but no more information about the range or artificial harmonics.

So I take it that I am out of luck for artificial harmonics with GSV?

For now, at least, it seems you are. But if enough people start asking for it, perhaps this is something that could be added.

Gary, if you're reading this, consider this a request for artificial harmonics. (And I wouldn't say no to a "sul G" option for that passionate gypsy sound!)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

What are those artificial harmonics ???

A "Flagolettes" ???

Go Back to forum