• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: THE SWANs PARADE: a study about cello vibrato

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb THE SWANs PARADE: a study about cello vibrato

After some very interesting discussions about the timbre, the thickness, but mainly the vibrato (intensity and speed/rate) of the Gofriller Cello, compared to the real thing, I did the attached study:

THE SWANS PARADE

- I surfed the internet collecting all the "Swan" for solo Cello and Piano I found in half an hour of research.

- without any sound manipulation I copy-pasted the beginning of each one in a 44.1Khz 16bit file of Cubase.

- I mixed two versions of my rendition in the same way, in casual position inside the file

- I did an mp3 compression, flat, with iTunes.

Now You may listen to all the swans playing in sequence, and compare sound, balance, vibrato rate etc.

Two of this are me, one is Yo Yo Ma.

Let us have your comments please.

Re: THE SWANs PARADE: a study about cello vibrato

Yo Yo Ma is after yours, right?

Question Re: THE SWANs PARADE: a study about cello vibrato

The theme is repeated 6 times.
    (The different fragments are really only 5, one is repeated for better transition to other sample following).

One of the fragments is my first version (the old one already posted and analyzed/criticized), another fragment is a new version with some little change adjustement.

Yo Yo Ma fragment is a very famous recording, yes not so difficoult to recognize...now give the numbers...
    1, 2...6?

Ah, come on... I won't listen to it again, but your version was at position 3 and directly afterwards came Yo Yo Ma. I don't know his recording but I recognize his sound. (Then the last one is yours again)

Actually the sample version holds up quite well in this context. I mean only the Yo Yo Ma is really good and the rest is... exactly what you say: what you find in half an hour on the internet...

My guess:

3 & 6 are Garritan. 4 is Yo Yo. (1 is such a poor recording it's hard to fairly judge it, 2 & 5 may or may not be real but are not very pleasing and have an odd audio edit near the beginning.)

What do I win if I'm right ,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JBacal
    What do I win if I'm right ,
    Jay
    I was first!

1) Old recording (strange vibrato ... seems to be from a show in a living room with people at the background)

2) 1/2 for the transition (edited at 0:43 ?)

3) You

4) Yoyo

5) 2/2 for the transition (same edition at 2:12 ?!)

6) You

I give more detail, no ?

Quote Originally Posted by mathis
    I was first!
    I yield to the gentleman with the swords.

Maestro Fabio Di Bravo.

Certamente avete indicato la flessibilità dello strumento e del fatto che il vibrato è sotto il controllo dei giocatori.

Lavoro meraviglioso!

Gary

Exclamation Re: THE SWANs PARADE: a study about cello vibrato

The sequence has been correctly recognized, thanks for listening (and sorry for the lack of a prize... ) but:

- only my versions are sligthly edited with the addition of the breathing and chair noise, no compression, no Eq, only standard Kompact 2 ligth convolution ("medium rooms/chamber big" sample) for ambience. It's quite "out of the box". The volume change is only due to controllers Expression #11(a lot) and Vol #7 (a little).

- the other fragments are untouched, receiving violence only by the original compression (the "network weathering"...) e.g. Fragment 2 and 5 are so similar that they must be the same recording, but one is a poor .wma, the other is a slightly better .mp3

- The aim is not a Trivial or Quiz game: it's to think in a more objective way to parameters like sound balance/thickness, timbre, bow action, and the evil vibrato rate speed and intensity variation.

- the last fragment is an enhancement? I did it very similar to the first, but changing something I didn't like of the old version, after some interesting comment.

Go Back to forum