• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lesson 10 Discussion - Melody in the Combinations

Share/Bookmark

Lesson 10 Discussion - Melody in the Combinations

This thread is to discuss Lesson 10 which covers melody in combination of various groups of instruments. This will be our last lesson dealing with melody and we will advance to harmony in our next lessons.

Feel free to ask questions here or to discuss and of the material presented in this lesson.

Gary Garritan

Re: Lesson 10 Discussion - Melody in the Combinations

The way I get the exercise score into Finale is I open the .mid with File/open and change the file type .mid then open it and save it. Then I use the Launch Window to start a new file with those instruments + all the ones I plan to use. I then save it and reopen the midi one to copy each stave to paste into the new file.

I just now discovered with the first exercize in lesson 10, that on the cello and harp staves, this .mid notation it is not an exact match of the melody-groups-violinswinds8v.score.jpg, i don't know if it is technical difficulty on my end or it they realy don't match or possible errors in the .mid, or errors in the way Finale handles the import of a .mid.

David

RK uses x's where a sharped or flated note returns to natural, like in No. 89. Servilia, Section 125. I could be wrong but was unable to find a way for doing that in Finale, is it a method that is no longer or rarely used?

David

Wow. That would confuse the living tar out of me, because I see an 'x' and think "double sharp". I think it's safe to say that the method is no longer used because it would cause too many people to bang their heads on their music stands!
    Aeterna
    The Ravenclaw Musician
    my_blog, my_t-shirt_shop

Quote Originally Posted by Aeterna
    Wow. That would confuse the living tar out of me, because I see an 'x' and think "double sharp". I think it's safe to say that the method is no longer used because it would cause too many people to bang their heads on their music stands!
    Ok, maybe I have misinterpreted it's application, oops!

Go Back to forum