• Register
  • Help

Topic: timpani and snare rolls...

Share/Bookmark

timpani and snare rolls...

hey everyone! I have a quick question for allof you. I want to know how to write snare and timpani rolls in Finale. I've seen scores that were written in Finale that have the timpani rolls and i don't know how to write the notes in that certain way. It's where there are 8th notes and then the base of the notes without the tail is right next to it. If you need more details let me know since it's kind of hard to explain.

Re: timpani and snare rolls...

I can't say I'm quite following your description, n3wman 918.

Usually in Finale I think one would notate a timpani roll with
    standard noteheads and a tremolo marking?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Are you talking about placing slashes through the stems of the notes? If that's it, you do it with the articulation tool. Click on the articulation tool, then click on the note. An articulation pallate should pop up. Just select the slash you want, then click on OK and you're done.

You can apply it to multiple notes by drag-enclosing them.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Yeah, like that... lol.

Thanks Dan for clarifying.

alright guys, thanks for answering since i REALLY needed to know.

I'll piggy-back on this thread...

Is there a way to get Finale playback for a timpani roll that does not include a difined initial note strike? Meaning, a roll that comes out of nowhere. No matter what I try, the first strike is always louder and harder, as though being struck for a louder dynamic. What I want is often that roll that starts pppppp and slowly (or quickly) crescendos to a voluble level, but there is no notice of the entrance - it just "appears" like a clarinet can appear out of nowhere.

Is there any way to get this to happen with GPO in Finale or is that just a limitation of the system/library? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ALynn
    I'll piggy-back on this thread...

Is there a way to get Finale playback for a timpani roll that does not include a difined initial note strike? Meaning, a roll that comes out of nowhere. No matter what I try, the first strike is always louder and harder, as though being struck for a louder dynamic. What I want is often that roll that starts pppppp and slowly (or quickly) crescendos to a voluble level, but there is no notice of the entrance - it just "appears" like a clarinet can appear out of nowhere.

Is there any way to get this to happen with GPO in Finale or is that just a limitation of the system/library? Thanks.
    Yes, give the note a dynamic marking of ppp, followed by a crescendo to a dynamic marking of your choosing.

Go Back to forum