• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Not sure I am in love with TBO

Share/Bookmark

Not sure I am in love with TBO

My first impressions on this piano were 'ok'. Had a project I needed an 'aggressive' piano on so I purchased it (with so many vel levels recorded).

But I was really hoping for the real mellow dark brooding sound (without being 'muddy') as well (with the lowest recorded samples). However, I find 'most' of the sample velocity levels to have what I describe as 'clunkiness' or where you 'hear' too much of the hammer sound.

Is anyone else have this problem?

My controller is the very nice and weighted Yamaha S90 ES.

Any suggestions for anyone on how to get this sound from this piano. If not - any recommedations?

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: Not sure I am in love with TBO

Sounds like 7CG or Black Grand are closer to what you were after. 7CG is the same piano as TBO but the capsules are further away from the hammers.

White Grand and TBO are close miced and cut though very well in a mix but this is not how classical piano is usually recorded.

Agree - the Black Grand may be more suited. I have it and it is my fave of all the sampled pianos I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    My first impressions on this piano were 'ok'. Had a project I needed an 'aggressive' piano on so I purchased it (with so many vel levels recorded).

But I was really hoping for the real mellow dark brooding sound (without being 'muddy') as well (with the lowest recorded samples). However, I find 'most' of the sample velocity levels to have what I describe as 'clunkiness' or where you 'hear' too much of the hammer sound.

My controller is the very nice and weighted Yamaha S90 ES.

Any suggestions for anyone on how to get this sound from this piano. If not - any recommedations?

Rob
    Hi Rob.

Contact me at per@sampletekk.com and we'll work something out.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Thanks MMcd and Len for the Black Grand recommendation.

Also thanks worra for the post - I just sent you an email.

All the best,

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

The problem I have with TBO (regular) is, when I play mellow, some velocities reveal a certain mechanical artifact at the beginning of the note. Very disturbing when you play a repetitive sequence. Is that what you mean, Rob?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    The problem I have with TBO (regular) is, when I play mellow, some velocities reveal a certain mechanical artifact at the beginning of the note. Very disturbing when you play a repetitive sequence. Is that what you mean, Rob?

Alex
    Hi Alex.

Could you send me a mp3 together with a MIDI file that shows the problem?
    You can mail it to per@sampletekk.com
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    Agree - the Black Grand may be more suited. I have it and it is my fave of all the sampled pianos I have.

Hi Len,

Checked out the BG demos and this is perfect for the current project. Thanks for the recommendation.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Hi Len,

Checked out the BG demos and this is perfect for the current project. Thanks for the recommendation.

Rob
    Hi Rob.

Great!
    There probably be a project in the future where TBO fits in!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    Could you send me a mp3 together with a MIDI file that shows the problem?
    You can mail it to per@sampletekk.com
    Wouldn't the exact name of the samples in question be more helpful?

Alex

Go Back to forum