• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 'The Swan' - Artistic Demonstration with the Gofriller Cello by Fabio

Share/Bookmark

'The Swan' - Artistic Demonstration with the Gofriller Cello by Fabio

Fabio has taken Joaz' version of "The Swan" (posted in the Listening Room) and has made a different interpretation from his MIDI file.

"The Swan" - Interpretation by Fabio
    http://www.garritan.com/Strad/fabio-SwanIRvib.mp3
    If you want to listen to a higher res aif file instead of the mp3 you can download it here: http://www.garritan.com/Strad/fabio-SwanIR.aif (It's 31MB)

Both Fabio and Joaz are helping in the testing of this new instrument and their differing versions show the versatility of the instrument. Please do not make this into a Fabio vs. Joaz discussion (and please note that Fabio used a more recent version of the Gofriller). Both did excellent and very different renditions.

The fact that the same software solo instrument can make two completely different versions is and exciting development.

We are no longer dealing with the same static samples, but with new technology that provides for artistic interpretation. Two different interpretations of the same piece shows the expressive nature of this instrument and how timbre manipulations are possible.

Thanks Fabio and Joaz for showing what is possible and for helping us with the development of the Gofriller Cello.

Enjoy!

Gary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: 'The Swan' - Artistic Demonstration with the Gofriller Cello by Fabio

Ooo, seriously, another excellent demo! Man, I cannot wait to get my hands on this product. Seriously one heavenly cello library! My God this is beautiful!
    Bravo Fabio ... Bravo!
    Styxx

Re: 'The Swan' - Artistic Demonstration with the Gofriller Cello by Fabio

Beautifully done, Fabio!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    The fact that the same software solo instrument can make two completely different versions is and exciting development.
    I think both versions are good. Your point on how the instrument can be manipulated to give very different performances of the same material is what makes the prospects of this instrument so great. And the demonstration of that fact is remarkable.

Wonderful work all!

Smile Re: 'The Swan' - Artistic Demonstration with the Gofriller Cello by Fabio

I add a personal comment:

first, if you have a DSL broadband, please download the audio file instead of the mp3, the sound little details are partially lost in compression. Then...

As Gary say, it's not a contest at all! It's almost the opposite, a top down team work for developement and a preview of featurs and options!!!
    (it's not only the result of my work, but also of consultations with Giorgio, Gary and Joaz...)

When I received the cello, I started listening some great cellist performing solos, of course including the famous Swan.
    Joaz, my friend, did almost the same! He found as a sample, a romantic and warm, loud but expressive recording, accompained by harps. And using his own taste and musical skills he did his own version, working quickly on some details of the instruments, like vibrato speed and dynamic controllers. You may agree that as a first attempt, and a quickly tweaked work, it's a great result!

I found a more intimate and soft recording, accompained by piano, and using my own taste and musical skills I did a similar rendition, starting from the MIDI file done by JOAZ (reading comments and critics to find and show some new way), working quickly on other details, like timbre variation, different bowing and different vibato rate, more rubato. A new warmer IR was ready to test (thanks Giorgio), and I had the chance of using it.

We are using a totally new technology, more similar to a real instrument, with a learning curve, and with the opportunity of creating a personal sound and style (imagine you take a real Gofriller cello for the first time in your hands, and try to play like Yo Yo Ma, if you can... ).

The result perhaps will never be the Yo Yo Ma or Rostropovic sound, but the learning curve is quite shorter (few hours instead of years!!! ).

Joaz and me, we did a very quick work on it (3 hours of works, my version), and by my side, every time I listened to one of my temporary versions, I found something to refine, and i did it better...after 5 reiterations, it is still possible to make it even better and better, but my aim was already reached, and I stopped working on it.

Even if it has been done programming, it remind me closely the work you do when you study a new piece, and you add expression and fine details time after time, preparing yourself for a live performance or a recording!

You may like Joaz's or my style, or dislike both and MAKE YOUR OWN!

Maybe some sound is not yet as real and good as a simply sampled pro sound, but it wont be so static, and it can only became better in the close future.

It's the most promising technology ever in samples libraries, IMHO.

Bravo Fabio.

Just as 2 different cello players in real life, create 2 versions of the same piece. We have explored 2 different visions of the Swan, from the same midi file.

I love your version........warm and intimate and caressing.

This very clearly illustrates what I have been trying to say. The Gofriller is an expressive instrument, and responds to the wishes of the player, ( Whether by Live input, Midi Tweaking, or a judicious combination of the 2).

It is fascinating, to hear the impact this new warmer Impulse Response has on the overall tone. The inclusion of some varied IR's will be useful when using this cello in an ensemble building capacity.

For me there is only one problem with the Strad and the Gofriller. Having this much control, becomes addictive, and you want every instrument to be programmed like this.

regards Joe

Fabio! Excellent!

Wow, Fabio! Fantastic! This is beautiful! It is wonderful to see so much control over a sampled instrument and your own talent combine to make such a sound. The future looks very nice! Astounding work, Fabio, bravo!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Taht's a beautiful interpretation... My question is, will this software/instrument allow for real performances if played live? For instance, let's say I wanted to play one of the bach solo cello sonatas... Could I set up the program, with pedals and controllers so I could play it live, or would I only be able to come up with an interpretation that sounded like a cello playing the bach sonata only through intense tweaking of a midi file?? Or for instance, this Swan piece, would I be able to play that live and achieve the right legato whenever I wanted, provided I set up the program accordingly... Any info appreciated, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    Taht's a beautiful interpretation... My question is, will this software/instrument allow for real performances if played live? For instance, let's say I wanted to play one of the bach solo cello sonatas... Could I set up the program, with pedals and controllers so I could play it live, or would I only be able to come up with an interpretation that sounded like a cello playing the bach sonata only through intense tweaking of a midi file?? Or for instance, this Swan piece, would I be able to play that live and achieve the right legato whenever I wanted, provided I set up the program accordingly... Any info appreciated, thanks...
    Like the Stradivari Solo Violin, the Gofriller Cello was designed to be played in real-time, like a real instrument. With this instrument, the goal was to move away from intense tweaking of a midi file and do real performances and play live.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum