• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to deal with the amount of loops in Stylus RMX

Share/Bookmark

How to deal with the amount of loops in Stylus RMX

I must say I LOVE Stylus RMX. One piece of ingenious software. My main "problem" though is how to deal with the amount of loops which are available.
    I have the basic set of loops that came with the software, one expansion (Backbeat) and some of my REX files converted to RMX format and already have problems when looking for a loop when creating a new song.

Just yesterday I was looking for an Acid Jazz type loop (BTW: Does anyone know if there is a good source for acid jazz drumloops in RMX or REX format?) and almost got mad when I stepped through hundreds of loops.

How do you more experienced and creative musicians deal with the problem of oversupply of sounds? For me it´s similar to the obesity crisis. Do you have a certain order system or do you just have a good memory in recognising loops once you listened to them while stepping through the RMX loops?

Any ideas?
    Best regards
    Raindog

Re: How to deal with the amount of loops in Stylus RMX

one word:
    favourites

whenever i have some downtime in the studio i go thru the loops in rmx and try to find the ones i like and organize them as favourites.

Hans

I was waiting for someone to mention a clever hi tech way before I plunge in with the analogue mediaeval approach I use. Favourites are OK if you write a lot of similar music, but if you need something specific to a project and, like me, don't want to be distracted by all the loops that could push you in a different direction - well I just select a category that's going to do it for me and just note down on an analogue piece of paper (with a digital pencil, obviously) the names that are doing it for me with a points system so that in, say 10 - 15 minutes you've whittled down to everything you need for a quite complex track. The ideosynchratic names are a big help IMO.

We love RMX.

BB

Talking Re: How to deal with the amount of loops in Stylus RMX

I am all for a rating system similar to MusicMatch or Itunes.

User definable genres and a star rating system.

Over the coming years, people will have accumulated perhaps tens of thousands of loops in RMX that they've imported.

I can't see this being workable without a definable rating system and a user customizable genre or comment field, as well as an instrument field, i.e. Guitar ( for Ninevolt Audio's stuff ) and all the other things that will no doubt become RMX compatible.

Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven
    I am all for a rating system similar to MusicMatch or Itunes.

User definable genres and a star rating system.

Over the coming years, people will have accumulated perhaps tens of thousands of loops in RMX that they've imported.

I can't see this being workable without a definable rating system and a user customizable genre or comment field, as well as an instrument field, i.e. Guitar ( for Ninevolt Audio's stuff ) and all the other things that will no doubt become RMX compatible.

Anyone else?
    I like the way you're thinking, but I don't have enough time to make the music I'm supposed to let alone spend days categorizing stuff. And you must have often discarded as useless a sound or loop which suddenly is brilliant for a project you never thought of. Manufacturers could help, but you just KNOW that everyone would have a different, incompatible system!

Guess we're all destined to drown in a sea of samples

regards

Barrie

Question Re: How to deal with the amount of loops in Stylus RMX

I do like the idea of a rating system... but of course it still wouldn't solve the problem entirely, something more is still needed to help address the situation of large librarys...

I reckon the ultimate solution would be to have an improved favourites system. The current Favourites system is certainly too limited, the inability to be able to add to different favourite groups makes it awkward to use to it's full advantage... for example it would be nice to be able to catagorise all your loops in relevant favourites folders at once... - by that I mean you'd need to be able to create several empty favourites folders each with a different name (perc / hard / live / electronic / bongos/ tambs / bass loops / musical loops or whatever...), with those in place you would then be able to listen through your entire library just once and as you come across relevant loops you could add them to your relevant favourites folder... - at the moment you have to go through the entire library each time you want to create a specific favourites section... - very time consuming!

If you could go through your entire library just once putting each loop in the relevant favourites folder that you had already created it would make organising your favourite loops a breeze and save so much time!

If this kind of system was in place then all you'd have to do is spend a small amount of time going through each new library just ONCE after you install it to pick out AND catagorise your favourite most useable loops. - we'd still have a hell of a lot of samples, but i'm damn sure it'd would make finding stuff a whole lot easier for the future! ..of course if you could then have the ability to create favourite lists from your existing favourite lists thus making further refinements to your selections... yeah! lets get deep man!

note: it would also be handy to be able to individually delete loops from favourite groups as well.

...in addition to this a decent loop/folder search engine within the stylus interface istelf is a well needed feature, so long as you could use wildcards it could be really handy. It's a bit of a tricky one to explain, but see this thread for a more detailed idea:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=46446

I'm sure if it was executed in the right way this kind of functionality could become invaluable and save a lot of time especially with the large librarys we're all building for RMX.

Hope that all makes sense!

Whaddyoureckon?

G

I'd like to see some sort of search engine, but I don't want to do all the work to set it up. Whats needed here is a reductionist method for finding what you want. I made a request for something of this nature (with details of how to go about it) in Atmosphere, but I don't expect anything to come of it. In other words - It aint gonna happen.

This was my fatalist point of view post for the day.

Thumbs up Re: How to deal with the amount of loops in Stylus RMX

I Like Invisible45's idea, that would be so cool. It's about time we had some better way to organise our favourites, the way Invisble has suggested it could be done above sounds spot on, it certainly gets my vote!

I have five expanders, total rex, a few other smaller rex collections, and some converted rex files. Too much stuff. I thought I'd browse my collection for inspiration for my current project and spent a whole lotta time not finding. So, I just wrote the part from scratch. Unless I find a way to make better use of RMX I suspect this is how it will always go.

Part of the problem is browsing is tedious. I'd like better keyboard control, and I'd like to be able to automatically find just the complete loops and variations and skip the fills and construction kit components. You know, hit one key repeatedly to go through all the complete loops in a collection rather than mousing between columns in the GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by amyhughes

Part of the problem is browsing is tedious. I'd like better keyboard control, and I'd like to be able to automatically find just the complete loops and variations and skip the fills and construction kit components. You know, hit one key repeatedly to go through all the complete loops in a collection rather than mousing between columns in the GUI.
    yes. It would be good to have automatic preview without having to always click on a file; and RMX could offer a few useful key commands instead of everything being mouse-driven. No doubt they're working on this kind of thing at Spectrasonics.

Go Back to forum