• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Using GVA for audio only - how to bounce/record in Sonar?

Share/Bookmark

Using GVA for audio only - how to bounce/record in Sonar?

Well, after tearing my hair out trying to get GVA and FX Teleport to work between my Sonar DAW and Giga slave, I finally tried reinstalling my old copy of MIDIoverLAN today and using that instead. The difference was night and day.

I had terrible stuck notes everywhere using GVA, and couldn't get it to send program changes to Giga. With MOL, there are no stuck notes and both bank and program changes work perfectly. Hurrah!

This is not to take anything away from the many people who have clearly got the FX Max stuff working well, or the possibility that with some more work I could do the same. But the part of me that wants an easy life is making the decisions right now.

This leaves the question of the audio return from the Giga machine to the DAW. I actually found that this works perfectly, even if I don't use GVA for the MIDI. So I need to reach a decision whether to go with the MOL-FX Teleport/GVA combination, or forget the latter altogether and go back to multitrack digital connections for the audio.

There was one problem with the audio return this way: I couldn't work out how to record it to audio in Sonar. The audio tracks that take the audio in from GVA don't have a record button on them (it disappears when I choose that input) so although they PLAY the audio perfectly, they can't record it. I tried going "bounce to track", with various combinations of selecting just the audio track, the audio and the MIDI, recording to the same track or to a new track etc, but every time the audio clip that was made was blank.

Can anybody set me straight on this?

Exclamation Re: Using GVA for audio only - how to bounce/record in Sonar?

Hi,

same problem here with
    Giga Teleport and Cubase.

Midi over Lan does much better Network-MIDI than Giga Teleport!
    Audio works via Teleport...

But if a bounce i get blank audio-files.

Please help!

Re: Using GVA for audio only - how to bounce/record in Sonar?

I found out elsewhere that you need to click on the FX Teleport icon in the systray of the host machine, and click the checkbox marked "bounce". But I still couldn't get it to work!

I've actually decided to go back to MOL for MIDI and hardware for the audio return. Fortunately I already have most of what I need for this, I just thought the FX-Max stuff would give me more flexibility.

But GVA is just not up to it yet. Buggy as hell.

Where did you get GVA?
    I cannot see any shop where I can buy it!
    (Or do you speak of GS3 in Rewire mode?)

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Lightpipe the two machines together with hardware, and live happily ever after!!! It's the best way by far.

Quote Originally Posted by jovan
    Where did you get GVA?
    I cannot see any shop where I can buy it!
    (Or do you speak of GS3 in Rewire mode?)

:-) Jovan
    www.fx-max.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Lightpipe the two machines together with hardware, and live happily ever after!!! It's the best way by far.
    Well, quite.

Problem is I have four machines, not two, so getting a decent number of channels across at once from each of them takes some imaginative multi-soundcard setup and routing.

I had hoped that using the LAN instead would simplify this, and make it easier if I ever want to add more machines. In theory it's a great idea, but like I said the technology just ain't there yet.

I get the impression FX-Teleport itself is actually pretty solid. I tried it briefly with NI Pro-53 and had no problems at all. Of course it's been around longer and would have a larger user base so has probably had a lot more bug-fixing applied to it. The problem I think is GVA (or Giga Teleport if you do it that way). Problem I see with this is that, with GVI coming out soon, there's gonna be less reason for people to choose GS3 and less incentive for Max to develop and perfect the product.

RME makes an interface with 3 adats. You could put that in your daw machine and interfaces with 1 adat in your other 3 machines.

Howard

Wink Re: Using GVA for audio only - how to bounce/record in Sonar?

I'm sure I'll need this thread in the near future, however right now I'd be happy just to be able to bounce some previous material to some tracks in Sonar 5 and get them to play in GS3. Just a couple lines to get me started. I was just about to start over trying to re-create them when it dawned on me that someone just might be willing to help a dumb rookie. And just think, I'm using just one machine! Peace
    -Rajay

I can't help you with Sonar, but in Cubase to record via GVA/FXT all you have to do is mixdown from the VST output where the sound comes from.

D

Go Back to forum