• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help reinstalling GPO!

Share/Bookmark

Help reinstalling GPO!

Okay, I'm an idiot...

I was having problems with GPO Studio and Finale 2002. (Playback would stop and an error message would come up stating 'midi device not found'.) So, I decided to uninstall GPO Studio (I had both versions [1.2 and 2.0] and I removced them all for a fresh install.) After re-booting my computer, I tried to install GPO 2.0 and found I lost my registration and it said to run the registration program. Which I could not find since I uninstalled GPO (aaargh).

So, I decided to re-install from my original disks. I put in Disk 1 and got to the point of putting the serial number in. That went fine! I didn't uninstall my library, so I unchecked the install for the sample library part of the installation. I checked the directories and finally got to the install screen. There it abruptly stopped and told me 'it couldn't find UNWISE' and to check to see if my disk is full and that I have access to the destination directory. "Access is denied"!

What's wrong and how can I correct it?

Rich
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Help reinstalling GPO!

Never mind...

I waited for help most of today. Since I got no response, I did the techie thing and ran regedit removing all instances of garritan and or GPO from the registry. I then did a registry clean removing any fragmented or missing connections to the registry. I then re-installed GPO from my original disks and re-registered with native-instruments. Finally, I did a update install of GPO Studio 2.0.

All is back to working as before. Unfortunately, the main reason for re-installing wasn't fixed. I still get a freeze when playing a score in finale 2002. I guess the problem is inherent in the make up of Finale 2002 and GPO not being fully compatable. My guess is I will have to live with it!

Rich

Rich

Rich,

I feel for you. Sadly, I do not have the know-how to help you. Somedays, I am amazed that I can figure out how to turn on my computer... let alone fix something when it goes wrong!

Godd luck fixing the issue,
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Regarding playback on Finale 2002. I had the same playback problem and discovered that Finale 2002 doesn't like Dual Processor machines. I just built a rig with an AMD FX 60 chip. My previous computer had a single processor and all was fine.

The way I fixed it was to set what's called the "Affinity" for finale.exe file. This basically tells Windows to use only one of the 2 available processors. In Windows XP Pro sp2 this is done in the task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). Then find finale.exe under the Processes tab and right click it. Then select "Set Affinity...". There you will be able to check or un-check which processor to use.

I don't know how you would do this on a mac (or if it's even possible). But I assume there is some similar work-around. The only other alternative is to upgrade Finale.

Best of luck...

Erik

I have an AMD 64 X2, so I assume that is a dual processor. I just installed it when my last processor/mobo bit the dust. Thanks for the info, I will check out the affinity issue.

Rich

Erik, you hit the problem and diagnosis right on the head! Thanks. The problems in playback that I was experiencing in Finale when using GPO have disappeared. I really appreciate the input.

Rich

Go Back to forum