• Register
  • Help

Topic: The GM set ?

Share/Bookmark

Smile The GM set ?

Any word on the progress of the new Garritan GM sound set ?

-- atonal

Re: The GM set ?

Wasn't it only announced like a week ago? Patience, grasshopper...
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

It can be ordered at the MakeMusic website. Here's a link
    http://www.finalemusic.com/finale/fe...nalsounds.aspx
    There is a special price for Finale users of $139
    Regards, John

It's a "Preorder" so don't expect delivery until it's actually released
    Fred

Are they seriously making people upgrade to Finale 2007 to use the GM set when it comes out or am i reading the requirements wrong?

I don't think you're reading it wrong. It looks like Finale 2007 is required. I assume you'd be able to use it with other programs that support VSTs though.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by atonal
    Any word on the progress of the new Garritan GM sound set ?

-- atonal
    The new GM soundset will be in the new Kontakt 2 Player. I am not sure if Finale 2006 will run the new player and perhaps you can ask MakeMusic.

The announcement of the GM set by MakeMusic was a little earlier than we expected and they are taking pre-orders now (and we will also start soon).

The idea of the GM soundset was to enable Finale users who made scores over the years with their soundfont player, to play them back with hoigher quality sounds. There is also a large body of general midi files on the net and such a soundset can be beneficial.

We'll post more details soon.

Gary Garritan

Sounds like this new GM soundset will 'only' be available within a Kontakt 2 player. Am I close ??

( sorta removes the G from GM ... hmmm .. )

-- atonal

Quote Originally Posted by atonal
    Sounds like this new GM soundset will 'only' be available within a Kontakt 2 player. Am I close ??

( sorta removes the G from GM ... hmmm .. )

-- atonal
    The GM soundset will be incorporated with the Kontakt 2 Player. It cannot be used with other sample formats but can be used with any sequncer that supports VST, AudioUnits, ProTools, DXi or with Finale or other notation programs.

Sometimes there is misunderstanding of exactly what General MIDI is. General MIDI is not format-specific but rather a specification or protocol that provides for a industry-standard soundset definition to make music with.

General MIDI follows a standard that assigns 128 instrument sounds that are assigned to specific numbers. There are sixteen specific families or types of instruments and eight instruments within each group. A separate group of percussion sounds is usually available on MIDI channel ten, and they are assigned to specific notes on a MIDI keyboard.

You can find general MIDI soundsets for GigaStudio, Soundfont, Kurzweil, Akai and various other formats. General MIDI was designed to allow files to be used among different sample formats, synthesizers, sound modules and devices with predictable results. It was not designed to be a universal format.

I hope this clarifies what General MIDI is about.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum