• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is there any way of using more than about 1.1GB memory in GS3?

Share/Bookmark

Is there any way of using more than about 1.1GB memory in GS3?

I have 4GB RAM in my Giga machine, partly so I can run other applications in the Application Space at the same time as Giga in the kernel.

Using memory presets 2,3 or 4 in the Giga configuration manager, I can load up to about 66% of available memory, which translates to about 1.1GB.

Is there ANY way to improve this? I red through the whole of Mattias's thread at VSL on the subject, and towards the end he is of the opinion that this is an insurmountable limit that cannot be improved.

Has anything further emerged wince then? Has anyone managed to beat this? I'm not talking about another 256MB or so here or there, but whether one can get up to say 1.4 or 1.5GB.

Just want to check before accepting this as a given.

Roll on 64 Bit Windows! PLEASE!!!

Thanks.

Re: Is there any way of using more than about 1.1GB memory in GS3?

I hate to say it, but the short answer is no. If you want more with Giga you'll have to go with GVI when it arrives and if you want to go over 1.8 GB or so use the 3GB switch and a LargeAddressAware host... Then you can go up to 2.9GB on a 4GB machine. Theoretically you could go up to 4GB (still using your 32-bit apps) if the machine have more than 4GB physical ram and is running Win64.

I haven't tried the 64-bit thing though as there are no 64-bit drivers for my Echo cards yet.

/Mattias

Go Back to forum