• Register
  • Help

Topic: how important is channel aftertouch with the Strad?

Share/Bookmark

how important is channel aftertouch with the Strad?

Hi there... I have a keyboad that allows me to assign a lot of contoller values, but has no aftertouch per se on the keyboard part... I hear so far in the forum that you can use "channel aftertouch"... What midi controller number would you use for this??? Is it important to use this channel aftertouch to get realistic performances out of the Strad... And here's the real dummy question what is channel aftertouch?? Any info greatly appreciated, thanks...

Re: how important is channel aftertouch with the Strad?

Tradivoro,

Channel aftertouch controls the vibrato rate. If it's missing, you will only be able to control vibrato intensity by the modwheel, but the rate of vibrato will remain steady at the default value. This will result in a mechanical, lifeless vibrato. A proper midi setup, as clearly stated in the manual, is essential for realistic performance.

Unfortunately, channel aftertouch does not correspond to any midi controller number, and you might not be able to assign standard controllers to aftertouch on your keyboard.

However, real time data mapping can be carried out by an external program such as Midi Ox, freeware for non-commercial use, downloadable from http://www.midiox.com/. Running this program along with Kontakt2 will allow any kind of controller mapping, including channel aftertouch.

Alternatively, you might use CC#67 to control vibrato rate. Though conceived to change the offset, i.e. the minimum vibrato rate at zero aftertouch, it can be effectively used to directly control vibrato rate.

The only drawback of both approaches is that you may need an additional hand for real time playing.

BTW, do you have the expression pedal linked to CC#11?

Giorgio

Hi Giorgio, thanks for you reply... I still don't have the Strad, and basically was trying to prepare myself for when I do buy it... I have an Alesis QS8.2, which amazingly enough does not have aftertouch per se... I'm telling myself ok, I have to get another pedal... One good thing about the qs8 is that it has 4 sliders that you can assign to any midi controller, it has inputs for 2 pedals and your standard mod and pitch wheel... But maybe midiox will be the way to go with my setup... What's funny is that the QS6 which is a smaller keyboard has aftertouch and this keyboard, whcih was their flagship keyboard for a long time doesn't have aftertouch... I don't what they were thinking... Thanks again, I'll research midiox...

Hi Giorgio and Tradivoro,

I use controller #131 for the vibrato rate controlller and it works very well. Another thing is... most sequencers have an "all midi in" selection that acts as a midi-merge and allows for the use of more than one keyboard at a time. So you can use the expression from one and... well, you get it.

It's a really great program, Giorgio, by the way.

Cheers.

Strange little quirk about controller 131 is that it doesn't show up in the midi monitor... hmmm, I guess it isn't on the list of sources to monitor. Still... it does works.

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    Hi Giorgio, thanks for you reply... I still don't have the Strad, and basically was trying to prepare myself for when I do buy it... I have an Alesis QS8.2, which amazingly enough does not have aftertouch per se... I'm telling myself ok, I have to get another pedal... One good thing about the qs8 is that it has 4 sliders that you can assign to any midi controller, it has inputs for 2 pedals and your standard mod and pitch wheel... But maybe midiox will be the way to go with my setup... What's funny is that the QS6 which is a smaller keyboard has aftertouch and this keyboard, whcih was their flagship keyboard for a long time doesn't have aftertouch... I don't what they were thinking... Thanks again, I'll research midiox...
    What? It doesn't have aftertouch?
    I have the original version of the QS8, and it certainly has aftertouch.

EDIT: I just looked up some info on it. Wow, I can't believe they took it out of the later models.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibrish
    Strange little quirk about controller 131 is that it doesn't show up in the midi monitor... hmmm, I guess it isn't on the list of sources to monitor. Still... it does works.
    CC#131 is not a 'real' controller. 'Real' controllers are CC#0 to CC#127; these - plus virtual controller CC#128 (Pitch Bend) - are the only controllers, that are available for script acces in K2. Unfortunately Aftertouch is currently inaccessible in scripts.

Yeah, I know you're right, Nickie.
    The thing is... it works.

I put it on an M-Audio 61es on the voluming slider just above the pitch wheel. So, you can use the ring finger to adjust rate while controlling amount of depth with the mod-wheel and thumb.
    It works nicely for me... in fact, so far I like it better than using after touch.

I hope others will try it and let me know:
    Just set any controller to 131 and... vous la...

maybe?

Cheers.

Go Back to forum