• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for Eric: ref ZGR file import for RMX - we need it!

Share/Bookmark

Question Question for Eric: ref ZGR file import for RMX - we need it!

Hi Eric,

I'm so close to pressing the order button on the Zero X website to buy their Beat Quantizer beat slicing tool but as has been the case since it's inception it still doesn't support stereo rex file export (REX2)...

- being an avid RMX user the one thing I really need is REX2 export... I guess I could live with using mono REX loops which it will export fine, but it kinda defeats the object a little and certainly isn't ideal... As I understand it's not down to Zero-X, it's more to do with propellerheads not putting the REX2 format in the public domain...

For creative beatslicing with a superb interface Zero-X's Beat Quantizer and Beat Creator are both hard to beat, and certainly great alternatives to Recycle... feature wise these programs have really come of age - and IMHO are now far superior in all respects... much better interface, and a large, really creative feature set.

I don't want to start a ReCycle/Beat Quantizer war, but surely it would be a great idea to offer more possibilities to the RMX users and in turn increase the sales of RMX? HALion supports the ZGR format as does Fruity Loops etc... so why only one format for RMX?

check out: http://www.beatcreator.com/

So how about including ZGR file import in next update of the SAGE converter tool?

<update>
    I contacted Peter at Zero-X and he got back to me confirming why he could not include REX2 export and went on to explain that it should be easy to include ZGR import in Stylus, - he can of course supply the relevent SDK and additional core information on the ZGR file format if required.
    </update>

...So, bearing this in mind I guess the only reason you could have to not include ZGR import would be that maybe you're about to release your own dedicated beat slicing tool..?? (classified information or what!?!)

Re: Question for Eric: ref ZGR file import for RMX - we need it!

This is direct from the Spectrasonics website:

Why do you limit audio import to ReCycle and not other platforms or standard audio files?
    The concept of slicing within REX files is the most similar to our own Groove Control™ system, so it's a good fit with the SAGE Converter and our playback engine. Other platforms like Acid, Apple Loops, etc rely more on realtime time-stretching in the playback engine, which we don't currently do...so the converted results would be too choppy to be useful.

Remember that you can always bounce something you like to a standard audio file and then create a REX file from it via ReCycle - and then import it into RMX. So you can use standard audio files in aiff/wav format, but they need the intermediate "slicing" stage within ReCycle to be useful to RMX.

Those are excellent apps....that's on the wish list for the future.

spectrum

Thumbs up Re: Question for Eric: ref ZGR file import for RMX - we need it!

Nice one Eric, that's great news, I'm glad you agree, that's put a big smile on my face!

Those apps are certainly way ahead of the competition - and the interface is fantastic too. Looks like Peter will be having some more happy customers on his hands soon, RMX and Beat Creator/Quantizer will be a killer combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible45
    Nice one Eric, that's great news, I'm glad you agree, that's put a big smile on my face!

Those apps are certainly way ahead of the competition - and the interface is fantastic too. Looks like Peter will be having some more happy customers on his hands soon, RMX and Beat Creator/Quantizer will be a killer combination.
    Please note that I didn't say "when"....so the "soon" concept is purely wishful thinking. ;-)

Question Re: Question for Eric: ref ZGR file import for RMX - we need it!

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Please note that I didn't say "when"...
    haha! you never do! - just a heads up is good enough for the moment - I'll harass you some more after the next update..

another thing well worth adding to RMX when you get a chance would be a loop search engine within the stylus interface... there seems to be so many rex libraries around at the moment that it would be great to be able to automatically call up a group of loops all at once based on just a few characters in either their folder name, or scan the entife library to search for loops themselves - for example, I often prefix certain loops with BD, or SNR, or LIVE, HARD, EL(electronic) etc... if you could perform a full search on your entire user library and automatically grab all the relevent loops into the browser for immediate playback it would be great... so long as you could use wildcards in the search it would be extremely flexible, you could have an option to search for just folders with relevant names or search the entire library for the loops themselves - after that you could easily put them into a specific favourites folder.

Let me know what you think!

Go Back to forum