• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga on Apple Intel Computers

Share/Bookmark

Giga on Apple Intel Computers

Any word if they work with Gigastudio?

Rich

Re: Giga on Apple Intel Computers

Gigastudio 3.0 will not run on any operating system other than Windows XP, and maybe Windows 2000 (unsupported but allegedly possible). If you're running Windows XP on your Apple Intel Computer with a gsif soundcard then you should be OK, but I have not tried it.

GVI is touted to run on OSX. They should release with a universal binary, but I can't say for certain.

Jay

Yes, I knew it wouldn't run in OSX, but I didn't know if there were other issues with the hardware or boot camp that would cause it to not work. I'd love to find a good 'business' reason to buy a MacBook.... if it could double as a Giga Studio Box, then I just might have to get one! Of course, I'd have to use external hard-drives... And, of course, a GSIF fire-wire interface.

Earlier today I was talking to a buddy who tried Giga on his Mac Mini running Boot Camp and he said it worked great. Said he banged on it pretty hard and had no problems.

- G

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    Earlier today I was talking to a buddy who tried Giga on his Mac Mini running Boot Camp and he said it worked great. Said he banged on it pretty hard and had no problems.

- G
    Hi Gamera,

I'm very interested to know more about that set-up (Mac Mini and, say, a centrino laptop). Has your mate tried running about 14 instruments and a couple of giga instances on it?

I'm looking for a portable solution for gigastudio, if you know of any other, please let me know.

Cheers

I know that GVI will be your portable solution for the laptop. They say that the Mac version is in development and not to far off. I heard the same thing about giga working on a Mac with boot camp from a guy at Tascam

Right on!!

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera

- G

Quote Originally Posted by jfivester
    I know that GVI will be your portable solution for the laptop. They say that the Mac version is in development and not to far off. I heard the same thing about giga working on a Mac with boot camp from a guy at Tascam
    That's good to know, cheers. I've decided to go with a PC laptop and a separate Mac Mini and risk streaming the gigs off an external FW HD.

However, it would very helpful if someone could explain or point me in the right direction as to how to set up a PC laptop with the Mac Mini. Presumably I will need two soundcards? One for the PC laptop (such as an echo indigo I/O pcmcia card) and one for the Mac (GSIF compatible).

I've heard FX Teleport is the solution for creating a slave out of another machine between two PCs...but for Mac?

Any advice hugely appreciated, Google left me stumped with this one...

Go Back to forum