• Register
  • Help

Topic: Slightly OT: Cart/Transport for mobile Laptop Recording/Composing Rig?

Share/Bookmark

Slightly OT: Cart/Transport for mobile Laptop Recording/Composing Rig?

I'm intersted in getting some kind of cart to mount/tote the recording accessories that I use with my laptop.

-2 - 3 external hard drives
    -external CD burner
    -External audio interface
    -Small Mixer
    -Microphones
    -Cables, extension cords, etc.
    -

I would like to be able to transport this in the back seat of my car, so:
    -I'd like to be able to mount the gear down (even if I just tie it down with some cable)
    -It can't be too big, heavy, or bulky
    -It should be enclosed

Basically I'm looking to minimize setup time when I get to a recording location. I'd like to have all my power cables plugged into a mounted power strip and all of my data cables plugged into a docking station, so that I can just plug the unit into the wall, dock my computer, and start composing.

I don't need something specially made for this purposes -- for a while I've just been using a rolling bathroom cart, holding the drives down with duct tape, and tying the cables to the base with twist-ties! I would like to upgrade to something a little more solid and less tip-prone, but it doesn't need to be a specialty item.

Anybody have some kind of portable rack like this? Any creative solutions?

Thanks,
    chris.

P.S. I can't spend a fortune -- if possible I'd like to keep it under $100, so I'm wide open to creative ideas and items designed for another purpose.

Re: Slightly OT: Cart/Transport for mobile Laptop Recording/Composing Rig?

Take a look at the SKB "gig rigs" and Gator cases for computers/laptops.
    Location sound guys use special carts that you would find at movie-video production supply houses.

Or just standard 19" racks with sliding shelves and drawers.

Roger B.

Re: Slightly OT: Cart/Transport for mobile Laptop Recording/Composing Rig?

You may want to check out the two-wheeled vertical "shopping carts" that senior gals use - the ones that you picture a "bag lady" wheeling around.

Ernie

Go Back to forum