• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Forsaken (Rough Mix)

Share/Bookmark

Question Forsaken (Rough Mix)

Hi Everyone!
    I've been working on this one for awhile and have finally given up. I come to you all for help and guidance please. Something's wrong and I don't know what it is. This is one cue from a complete score of cues. (it's late...I'm sorry if I am not making sense). This piece is supposed to be sombre - that part of it I think that I got. I'm having the most trouble with the mix and the percussion I think. I wanted to keep the percussion to a minimum this time. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help and thanks for listening!
    Steph

p.s. - forgot to mention...GOS, GPO, Project Sam True Strike, Gold XP

Re: Forsaken (Rough Mix)

Hi,

Wow...I was impressed with the feeling of restrained power in it, a somber journey to somewhere through a very adverse place or setting. I don't know what you feel is wrong with it or what its intent is. There are some very neat things going on in the background, bizzarre accents by the horns, etc.

Perhaps the beginning softer and building and the ending should fad out slowly instead of being aburtly would give it something less constant and driving. The same being true with the percussion, some variance in it, surprised like the background effects.

In any case you have created something very good to work with. I will be anxious to hear the revised outcome.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Great work, Steph!

Not sure i could offer advice with the mix... sounds great at my end.

The chorus line is especially nice... definitely somber..!.

The intro caught me by surprise... the first 10 seconds was a terrific build!...a great way to set the tone. But brief, I might extend this area of mood, and ease into the chorus.

just a thought...

~Jeff

Hey,

This sounds great! Maybe it's just me, but I could imagine some big percussion hits around the 1:40-2:00 mark somewhere (though you said you wanted to keep the percussion to a low on this one), I think it'd still keep the feel you want. Either way, this does sound sombre - great feel.

Loving those horn bends.

The buildup at the start is very effective.

-Chris

This is very effective writing and excellent mood-setting, Steph.
    Certainly don't give up on it!

I think we all suffer from "writer's block" from time to time, and I
    don't know of any sure-fire cure for that.

One trick I use is to grab any six notes at random out of the prior
    material, stick them on the page a half dozen measures from where
    I stopped, then go to work figuring out how to get there...lol.

Now, half the time I wind up ripping it out; but it often does get
    me kick-started into a new direction.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks so much for the insight everyone. I think that I am basically on the same page as you are. I wanted to try a few things out tonight, but the DAW is dead (at least temporarily ) so it could be a while before I can do any work on the piece. I truly appreciate all of the input and that you took the time to listen. Thanks so much!!!
    Steph

late breaking news...the DAW appears to be ALIVE!!! WooHoo!!!

Thumbs up Re: Forsaken (Rough Mix)

Steph, man .... cripes Sakes! Give me a break babe! If I had half the emotion in my music I would continue to write more and more! The percussion as it stands is perfect in my professional experience. It does not cloud or bind the listener to itself yet renders nice highlighting to orchestration as a whole. However, I hear "percussive effects" used in specific areas to lend further stress to emotion upon the listener. In other words, play with every aspect of their emotion. Metal scraping or chains or what ever. It would be cool to experiment with "found sounds" as well not only percussive in nature but vocal as well.
    Now, do I make sense to you?
    AND ... I wouldn't change anything of what you wrote! Are you playing your stuff for that little one?
    Put the headphones on me mommy. I want to hear!

By the way ... I am Cellos.
    Styxx

Talking Re: Forsaken (Rough Mix)

Here, sample this and use it.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Steph, man .... cripes Sakes! Give me a break babe! If I had half the emotion in my music I would continue to write more and more! The percussion as it stands is perfect in my professional experience. It does not cloud or bind the listener to itself yet renders nice highlighting to orchestration as a whole. However, I hear "percussive effects" used in specific areas to lend further stress to emotion upon the listener. In other words, play with every aspect of their emotion. Metal scraping or chains or what ever. It would be cool to experiment with "found sounds" as well not only percussive in nature but vocal as well.
    Now, do I make sense to you?
    AND ... I wouldn't change anything of what you wrote! Are you playing your stuff for that little one?
    Put the headphones on me mommy. I want to hear!

By the way ... I am Cellos.
    Hi Styxx!! Thanks so much for listening!! I agree with you completely about the percussion. I've tried to add larger hits, or a snare etc., and it just didn't fit. I am excited to try some other percussive effects as you say, because I do think that they'd work. Of course you are making complete sense!! I've not put the headphones to belly yet, for fear that I'll cause some psychological damage to the poor kid! My music just might be a little too heavy for the poor little ears ...Well, I guess that cat's out of the bag Please don't be Cellos! Thanks again for listening!!
    Take care,
    Steph

MANY CONGRATULATIONS STEPH!

When is the happy event?

And if it's a girl, shall you name her Ludwig?

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast