- Solo Clarinet
    - Horns (1, 2 & 3)
    - Trombones (1, 2 & 3)
    - Tuba
    - Contrabass Tuba
    - Glockenspiel
    - Drums (dfh Superior)

Live Feeling?
    All ensemble-instruments are doubled with the corresponding solo instrument,
    which is playing the same track as well but gentle detuned. This “trick” gives the
    touch of a live feeling. Please take a special notice of the flutes for
    this matter.
    As always, the choice of the reverb type is a matter of taste... I tried to simulate
    a Brass-Band ambiance.

What do you think about it?

Have fun
    Beat Kaufmann

Smile Re: VSL > March Demo

Funny Beat, really funny!

Maybe the score wont be a mailstone in the history of music... (not intended to be, probably...), but the orchestration is quite good.

Excellent also the rendering (as and maybe better than usual): is it a challenge to the Garritan's " marching or marchable" libraries?

To be honest, it seems to be...are you a composer, or a marketing man?

Re: VSL > March Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Kaufmann

What do you think about it?

Have fun
    Beat Kaufmann
    I cant tell you how much I hate this kind of music!

That said, your peice is very good since it really captures the marching band feel. Good choice of reverb and production. So - I hate it - but its good - if that makes any sense

Great job.

@ Fabio.

Its not like someone about to buy a $199 product, all of a sudden hears this and thinks "hey - I think I'll buy an $11.000 product instead"... VSL and GPO target two completely different markets...

Every time, no, EVERY TIME I hear a demo like Beat's, it reinforces my purchase decision and encouarges me to tell others about Vienna's absolute versatility. I think it's GREAT that my Vienna Library is so VERSATILE that I can do this kind of work in it if I need to, AND! I have a tutorial from Beat on how to do it, and a downloadable MP3 file. PLUS! Beat is a true, speaking as a Virginian, Southern Gentleman, and is always gracious in answering questions.

It's a fun march and he did a great job on it. THANK'S BEAT!

PA
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Smile Re: VSL > March Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen

@ Fabio.

Its not like someone about to buy a $199 product, all of a sudden hears this and thinks "hey - I think I'll buy an $11.000 product instead"... VSL and GPO target two completely different markets...
    Good point: I don't know if Garritan Libs are underpriced or VSL is overpriced, but the difference (even if it exist and it's evident) don't seems to be IMHO a 200/11.000 rate (it is maybe between an old GM soundcard and VSL).

People with good skills (music and programming) like Beat (and like me...;-) can do something VERY, veeery similar even with Garritan sounds...hmm...yes: the pros must pay! They make money with sounds, to have a little more, they must pay a lot more! (ok, like cars, like jewels, like resturants, like...no please don't start comparison, peace...)

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Funny Beat, really funny!

is it a challenge to the Garritan's " marching or marchable" libraries?

To be honest, it seems to be...are you a composer, or a marketing man?
    ??? I'm confused. Is Northern Sounds strictly for Garritan products or is the Sample Libraries Discussion open to info/input/submissions regarding all sample libraries on the market?

Your comments infer you may have an infieriority complex with GPO. Why take Beat Kaufman's submission as a threat to GPO? Why take such a defensive stance about GPO?

I am confused!??!

Good point: I don't know if Garritan Libs are underpriced or VSL is overpriced, but the difference (even if it exist and it's evident) don't seems to be IMHO a 200/11.000 rate (it is maybe between an old GM soundcard and VSL)
    Well if you can't hear the difference beween the two, then lucky you - you will save a lot of money. Unfortunately I'm not blessed with your ears

Maybe the score wont be a mailstone in the history of music
    Hello Fabio
    I agree the score wont be a milestone. I put some "easy (catchy?) tunes" after another and made an arrangement. But you are able to sing the melodies after the second time you'll listen too.

...is it a challenge to the Garritan's " marching or marchable" libraries?
    No. I was looking for a music style to make a demo for the new VSL Brass Instruments. I've never heard a march bevor - played by samples.
    Here in Switzerland every town and every village has its own brass-band. So it is very traditionally to have brass-/march- music with most celebrations. Therefore we have hundreds of famous marchs here.
    The problem is, that all of the composers still must be payed for their music. That's the reason why I composed my own (free) compostion. Now I thought it would be interesting for the whole big "sample-family" to listen to such a new thing ;-) So it is'nt a (planed) challange to the Garritans Marching Library...

.... and
    Thank you for your kind words even if you hate march music. I produced another demo a short time for VSL (Piccolo Flute). Perhaps it makes up for the march... http://www.beat-kaufmann.com/VSL_New..._PFL_VI_06.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Peter 269
    ....only
    Thanks a lot for your praising words, Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by kstevege
    ....Why take Beat Kaufman's submission as a threat to GPO? Why take such a defensive stance about GPO?
    As I mentioned above, I've never heard a march bevor - played by samples. So I thought it would be interesting for each "sample - crack" to listen to such a new thing ;-)...

All the best ...and peace

Beat Kaufmann

Thumbs down Re: VSL > March Demo

Well if you can't hear the difference beween the two, then lucky you - you will save a lot of money. Unfortunately I'm not blessed with your ears
    It's slightly offensive. You are just a partisan. Re-read my comment and be more serious and fair please. You don't give good service to your ideas with offenses.

Question Re: VSL > March Demo

Quote Originally Posted by kstevege
    ??? I'm confused. Is Northern Sounds strictly for Garritan products or is the Sample Libraries Discussion open to info/input/submissions regarding all sample libraries on the market?

Your comments infer you may have an infieriority complex with GPO. Why take Beat Kaufman's submission as a threat to GPO? Why take such a defensive stance about GPO?

I am confused!??!
    Sorry, not at all. It has been a joke of course (see to smails), but even if you take it seriously, what's the problem?

It's a wonderful sample of music with a wonderful library, done by a very good musician and programmer, I respect and like.

My joke was about "strange coincidences" of the market, and about "free" supporters of the companies.

I'm not a supporter or an affiliate of Garritan, even if i respect the incredible quality/price rate of his products, like Kirk Hunter products.

They make people without big amount of money available, anyway accessing good sounds. that's all.

Go Back to forum