• Register
  • Help

Topic: new M-audio Axiom controllers are....

Share/Bookmark

new M-audio Axiom controllers are....

VERY NICE.
    I just picked up the Axiom 49 and really like its action and the ease in which I can program controllers to assign different parameters. I had been using a Keystation 49e but didn't like the action. I use a Mo8 for piano type patches but found the action too weighted for quick playing for drums and such - so I bought the Axiom for that and for portability on the road with my MacBook. That said, the Axiom line are heavier than the usual M-Audio line of controllers. I can only assume this is due to their lovely semi eighted keyboard action. Regardles, great value and great product.

Re: new M-audio Axiom controllers are....

Yes! My Axiom 61 arrives tomorrow or Wednesday, and I can't wait! I have a Prokeys88sx for lower manual, with the Axiom on top and my Receptor, I will have two manual Hammond (B4 II) simulation with full control - and the keyboards will be within a few inches of each other, almost like ther eal thing, rather than spaced a foot apart so you can get to the lower controls. This is a great controller, all that's missing is the Breath Controller input like CFE has on their controllers, but it feels WAY better (played it at NAMM...)
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Hmmm, must have been a bogus unit because I rented the 25 before I bought the Axiom 49 and don't notice any difference. Strange.

I've taken apart a number of keyboards and I don't see how there can be much variation between units of the same model of unweighted or semi-weighted keyboards. Other than the manufacturer switching to different springs or weights or keyboard mechanism I don't see how there'd be a noticeable difference. The mechanism is very simple, and pretty much identical even between manufacturers.

The 25 may be more rigid because it is smaller. If the 49 feels "cheap" try supporting its entire length by placing a board under it between its feet (so it's resting on the board and not its feet). When I took my Studiologic TMK-88 out of its plastic case and placed it on wood it felt more solid and the action was quieter.

Amy

Does Axiom has aftertouch ?

Yup!

semi-weighted action
    assignable aftertouch
    eight rubberized trigger pads
    Nine sliders
    eight endless rotary encoder knobs
    15 MIDI-assignable buttons - including six transport controls
    assignable wheels and foot pedals
    dedicated front-panel keypad and backlit LCD screen
    room for 20 non-volatile memory locations
    Mac or PC."

Quote Originally Posted by aplanchard
    Yup!
    assignable aftertouch
    What does assignable mean in this situation ???

I think CME still has a way to go. I have used their UF8 and UF7 and didn't like either for different reasons. The 8 had a weird weighting to it that didn't make it good for either piano or non-keyboard instruments. The 7 had better velocity output (you have to hit the 8 with a hammer to get 127 velocities) but the action was horrid.

M-Audio isn't perfect by any stretch. But the new Axiom controllers are the best I've used from their lot and I've used: Keystation 88, Keystation 49e, Oxygen8, Radium 49, Radium 61.

But to each his/her own. If the UF series is working for some people God bless em! Making music is what it's all about really. The type of tool isn't as important as its end result.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Argitoth
    davecos come on, CME can't be that bad. I wouldn't know. I'm still waiting for mines in the mail.
    In my experience they are. And I've used both models so I know of what I speak- at least for my music needs.

I had a chance to play the 49 at Guitar Center yesterday and...it does feel cheap. The keys feel light and they move side-to-side too easily.

Go Back to forum