• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT - Raid0 for samples - anyone doing this?

Share/Bookmark

OT - Raid0 for samples - anyone doing this?

I know this should be in the hardware area, but you know how the saying goes.... it won't get answered there My search there has yielded few and old posts. I figure this will get me quicker - up to date results. Please forgive me.

I'm currently getting a AMD machine.
    I noticed it's just as cheap to get several smaller sata drives for Raid, than to get an equal big single sata drive.

The biggest reason I'm leaning this direction is for 7CG and TBO. I would love to be able to play Rachmaninoff and I'm the only thing breaking sweat.

Anyone?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: OT - Raid0 for samples - anyone doing this?

Hi Aaron. I use a raid0 for my sample libraries (see signature). pcAudioLabs built this machine and the raid was there suggestion. Everything runs smoothly on my DAW. This month it's a year old and (knock wood) I haven't had an issue. I have read posts on Steinberg and NI forums from folks who believe raid0 are a waste of resources and diminish performance when compared to using the 2 drives independently.
    Rabdaddy
    PCaudioLabs DAW - Win XP Home SP2 - Athlon 64 X2 4400+ - 2G - A8V Deluxe Mobo - 80gb EIDE (OS) - 80gb SATA (audio) - 320gb SATA Raid 0 (samples) - Tascam FW1804 - Cubase SX3 - Twin 23" Dell S2309W Displays - Tranzport
    Rabdaddy Studio website

I've been using two 74gb Raptors in Raid 0 for the past 2 years and had no problems until a couple of weeks ago when the motherboard died (P4C-800E deluxe) The tech said the south bridge had overheated which caused the failure. I have wondered if the overheating was caused by the two 10k drives in Raid 0 configuratiuon. (Processor is P4 3.2Ghz)
    The unfortunate thing is that this MB is no longer available and the new CPU's use a different socket....so its basically a new computer for me (and it was only 2 weeks out of warranty!)
    Will be going for an AMD x2 dual core this time..but cant decide whether to configure the drives in Raid 0.
    Any other views on Raid 0 for samples?

Mal

Mal

It depends on whether large sample libraries require more bandwidth (MB/sec) or less latency. RAID improves bandwidth dramatically at the cost of higher latency. I haven't profiled the apps to see what the limiting factor is, but I'll bet the Tascam/NI guys have. Are there any recommendations in the manual/readme?

Personally, I've been very happy with the 3rd-generation WD Raptor. Since the cache is optimized for desktop use it outperforms 15krpm drives outside the server room, while being amazingly quiet for a 10k drive.

My DAW isn't raided, simply because I haven't invested the money in it ... yet. But as a systems admininstrator for a data processing service bureau, I would always recommend using a Raid card, rather than raid on the mobo. Shared resources will affect performance, although may not be noticible in all environments.

The Adaptec 2410 SA (without enclosure) is a great card for under $300 and will allow you to raid0 4 SATA drives and maintain throughput. I would also recommend 10K+ rpm drives not only for speed but for quality of build. 7800 SATA drives are basically the same common build as their PATA (IDE) counterpart. Whereas 10k+ drives are built for commercial environments as is their SCSI counterparts.

Shared resources will affect performance, although may not be noticible in all environments.
    What resources do you mean? RAID translation logic is done on the southbridge or a separate chip, and there's no need for a CPU to do XOR calculations like in RAID 5. Meanwhile, onboard chips get a direct high-speed bus straight to the northbridge -- much faster and less congested than the PCI bus. A PCIe card is a fairer comparison, but those are still rare and expensive.

If you go for hardware, I'd recommend Areca, 3ware, or LSI before Adaptec. Avoid cheapo Highpoint/Promise stuff.

There is only one 10krpm+ SATA drive, the Raptor. Western Digital doesn't make SCSI drives, so I'm not sure what comparison you're trying to make. Meanwhile, all major drive manufacturers do have commercial "near line" SATA drives: WD has the RE series, Maxtor MaxLine, Seagate NLxx, and so on.

Regardless of drive quality, you should consider anything living on a RAID 0 array to be volatile, for temporary (or well-backed-up) storage only. Samples are fine of course since they can always be reloaded, just make sure you don't let important/irreplaceable stuff creep onto there.

What resources do you mean? RAID translation logic is done on the southbridge or a separate chip, and there's no need for a CPU to do XOR calculations like in RAID 5.
    Inexpensive mainboards with RAID option often do all the calculations on the main CPU. Sometimes this is called a "fakeRAID".

I use LSI scsi, Raid 0. Superior performance and reliability. A bit pricey, but worth it. Three years with no problems.

"Avoid cheapo Highpoint/Promise stuff."

Exactly, Both are frequently found on motherboards and are fake raid. Rather than having raid processing done externally, the cpu and memory share the work load (as stated earlier). A raid card on the other hand is separate and performs its own caching, polling and drive metrics. The promise TX series is a notorious fake raid. It is a SATA card that does monitor the raid, but all the real time raid processing is done the through operating system and vendor supplied drivers.

Adaptec is certainly not high end, but the 2410SA is low cost, well supported and performs. Adaptec has always been more of a small business/consumer raid. Certainly wouldn't run a farm on it, but it is great for specific task machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg
    There is only one 10krpm+ SATA drive, the Raptor. Western Digital doesn't make SCSI drives, so I'm not sure what comparison you're trying to make.
    My comparison is 7.8k IDE are the same quality build as 7.8k SATA drives. 10k SATA drives are built for higher reliability, similar to their SCSI counterparts.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast