• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Eleven Drummer - A Tone Poem for Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

The Eleven Drummer - A Tone Poem for Orchestra

This is a piece I composed a few months ago and thought I might post.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=3754726&q=hi

It's a tone poem based on a painting by Patrick Woodroffe called, The Eleven Drummer:

*Special permission to use photo given by Patrick Woodroffe.

I saw this painting several years ago on a poster and just couldn't get it out of my head. I thought it was quirky and visually intriguing. So in homage to Patrick's wonderful sense of imagination I composed this short tone-poem, which hopefully does it a bit of justice. I'm not sure if it's officially finished or if I should go on. I would love some opinions or critiques.

The recording is a bit wonky, the levels were set a bit too high and there are some annoying cracks toward the end. I haven't had time to correct them so please bare with me.

If you haven't seen his work I suggest you check him out. Original in concept and highly imaginative is the only way I can describe his work:

http://www.patrickwoodroffe-world.com/

Cordially,

Chris

Re: The Eleven Drummer - A Tone Poem for Orchestra

This is amazingly powerful little piece. I think it truly does justice to the visual. Outstanding orchestration. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Excellent orchestration in this, and vigorous, highly
    inventive writing. Wonderful!

There's only one problem:

More, please! This is an oustanding exposition, and
    one cannot resist thinking of the possibilities to come!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

First. I really like the painting. I so admire and respect the skills needed to create such detailed visual "stories" as exemplified by this one painting. Your music seems to compliment the painting both in skill and in "story telling".

If you're wondering whether to write more, then please do!! Please tell more of the story started by the painting.

Really nice job!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Hey guys!

Thank you for listening and all your kind words. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

I had a much needed day off today, a luxury I won't have for quite a while. It had been a little over a month or so since I had listened to this piece and found that there might be more story to tell. Unfortunately it may be a while before I can work on it, but I'm thinking I may re-approach it in the near future to see what else comes out.

This was a particularly hard piece for me to concentrate on for some reason. I like the piece, but I just feel like the payoff isn't quite there yet... Maybe that's because it's not complete, I don't know.

Thanks again for taking time to listen and respond. If you have any further suggestions or critiques please feel free to make them- I love constructive critism. After all that's how we as artists learn and grow, right?

Cheers!

Chris

Chris:

Pretty dynamic writing and done well with GPO. Your orchestration is very descriptive of the painting. I think you would do well to go on and I also think you have a talent for film scoring.......

jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Nice rendition of the painting. I love the way the music alludes to the picture. You've got to watch the picture as you listen - nice fit!

Powerful stuff, really managed toring some power out of those samples. Excellent dynamic writing too. Only a shame it's so short

Thumbs up Re: The Eleven Drummer - A Tone Poem for Orchestra

Chris,

WOW!
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: The Eleven Drummer - A Tone Poem for Orchestra

Evocative picture, nice piece.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast