• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question About Layering Samples in Kontakt2

Share/Bookmark

Question About Layering Samples in Kontakt2

How do I layer two patches on the same midi track while giving them different volume levels? I am using two mic positions for a trumpet sample and I want the close mic position to be louder than the far mic position, but I want to use one track in my sequencer to trigger both c and f samples.

What do I need to do in Kontakt2 to get this to work?

I am using K2 in standalone mode on a second computer and my sequencer (Home Studio) on my first computer.

Thanks.

Marko

Re: Question About Layering Samples in Kontakt2

Assign both intruments to the same midi channel

Thanks Mahal.

This seems obvious. However, if I give the MIDI channel a volume command from my sequencer, both instruments on that shared MIDI channel will get the same volume.

OK.
    Possible workaround: Use another controller instead of the "hard wired" volume to control the volumes independently. You can add any "midi CC" to the list of modulators of the volume.

Hey Marko
    I'm trying to do something very similar. I'm trying to build a KSP script that gives you a volume control on the front panel to control the layers. If I figure out how do write it I will post it for you. I only got Kontakt myself last week

Thanks Mahal. I'll see what I can do.

I can always add another separate MIDI track, but my sequencer view is cluttered.

Lovechild2000,

Good luck with the script. I have not yet experimented with the KSP scripts, but if you arrive at a solution then I will certainly try to apply it.

Thanks.

Marko

All you have to do is make 2 separate groups in the same instrument for your 2 trumpets, control volume either globally (Instrument Options) or by modulation of the Amplifier module, then adjust the groups individually with the Volume knob on the Amplifier module, which is not affected by these 2 methods of controlling volume.

(Make sure the volume knob isn't controlled by "automation": in Browser "Auto"/Midi AND Host Automation (separately)/Click on CC7, assignations in bottom window, remove if necessary)

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. I'll give this a go.

Marko

Go Back to forum