• Register
  • Help

Topic: volume

Share/Bookmark

Question volume

In GPO when I load an instrument its default volume is set to -6 or -12 by default. Is there some reason for it?
    Then, when I make the volume to the max it still sounds too quiet (all my levels in sound card manager - like overall volume, midi volume, wave volume, etc. are at max, and when i'm watching a movie or using winamp it's really loud).
    Also it's very unbalanced - a woodwind instrument suppresses a string section to a complete inaudibility when played at the same volume.

Any suggestions?

Re: volume

Quote Originally Posted by Dargoth
    In GPO when I load an instrument its default volume is set to -6 or -12 by default. Is there some reason for it?
    Yes. Instrument volumes (voltages) add together in the mix. Default levels are set low enough so that gain stages are less likely to overload under typical conditions when mixing symphonic-sized groups.
    Then, when I make the volume to the max it still sounds too quiet (all my levels in sound card manager - like overall volume, midi volume, wave volume, etc. are at max, and when i'm watching a movie or using winamp it's really loud).
    I'll ask the obvious first: You don't mention mod wheel data. 9 times out of 10 a question like this is the result of a misuse (usually lack of use) of the mod wheel. Remember, in GPO, mod wheel data controls expressive volume/timbre of instruments like winds and most strings in GPO. Instruments will be at their quietest setting until mod wheel data is brought up in level. If this turns out to be the source of your problem you need to go back and read the manual cover-to-cover. GPO is not like other libraries; it breaks with MIDI conventions in a number of areas and you will not be able to get things to function properly until you understand the way things work. Now, if that isn't the problem (you have mod wheel data in your tracks already) then you may want to look at the way your host software (sequencer or notation program) is handling the mixing functions for the GPO instruments.
    Also it's very unbalanced - a woodwind instrument suppresses a string section to a complete inaudibility when played at the same volume.
    This is almost completely dependent on the way you are using mod wheel data. Rough balances are actually pretty close for standard symphonic ensembles at the default volume knob settings when mod wheel data is being applied as designed. Correctly done, your tracks will have almost continuously changing cc#1 data for the expressive ebb and flow of your instrumental lines. If you wish to change relative instrumental balances you have many choices, from modifying the volume knob settings to sending instruments to separate output pairs in the player so that levels can be handled by your host's mixing software, to activating cc#7 in the Options menu of the player and placing cc#7 data in your tracks to set static levels. Or combinations of all of these.

Tom

Go Back to forum