• Register
  • Help

Topic: to partition or not partition that is the question

Share/Bookmark

to partition or not partition that is the question

Hello all,

Does anyone know if partitioning a drive helps in setting up your system for EWQL? I have 3 drives on my new system
    P4 D930 ( dual core) 4GB Ram, and my drives are:

80GB: System + Cubase
    160 GB: Strings + Percussion
    160 gb: Brass, Woodwinds

Is this a good set up? Will partitioning the larger drives help or is it redundant?

TIA

Jeff

Re: to partition or not partition that is the question

Partitioning does not help! All that does is divide your drive into sections but it is still the same drive spinning away. We use external USB 2.0 drives.

1. Audio
    2. Video
    3. Samples

so on.

You can pick them up fairly low cost now and they are just as great, if not better then Firewire... IMO.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    Partitioning does not help! All that does is divide your drive into sections but it is still the same drive spinning away. We use external SUB 2.0 drives.

1. Audio
    2. Video
    3. Samples

so on.

You can pick them up fairly low cost now and they are just as great, if not better then Firewire... IMO.
    Totally agree. Firewire seems to be preferable for external sound cards but usb 2.0 works great for hard drives.

Never saw where partitioning hard drives helped all that much... especially not since XT. It use to help a bit with clutter and maybe not needing to defragment as much... but I don't see the benefit now.

I would think partitioning would only help with organizing your files. I have my second drive partitioned to help me find stuff because I'm quite badly organized, but all my samples are on one partition.

I'm not sure if I'm actually taking a hit by partitioning, but I know for a fact that I'm not gaining any performance by doing it.

Rich

You didn't mention any audio streaming?

You will have much better luck streaming audio from it's own separate drive, if you do lots of audio at high SR especially it's important.

my 2 cents

have a perfect 4th

Ok thanks guys! No partitioning for moi.

Jeff

The only partitioning I have is on the C drive, one for Office & Internet & the other for studio. Samples , Audio on 2 separate drives.

The data transfer rate does get progressively slower, the closer you get to the center of a disk. It makes sense to create a 2nd partition for the inner part and use that for anything where fast transfer is not an issue (On drives with multiple platters, data is store in "cylinders", but the same still applies).

I keep the C drive only for OS and programs. A seperate drive for audio files/project files. Then all samples are kept on external USB 2.0 drives.

One good thing about partitioning is that if you keep often fragmented files together with files that don't get fragmented on the same drive, having a partition for easily fragmented files means you only have to defrag that partition.

Go Back to forum