• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lesson 7 Exercises

Share/Bookmark

Lesson 7 Exercises

Here is a Lesson 7 exercise from Jamiha.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...mony-les-7.mp3

Here he used oboe, clarinets and bassoon and a flute.

Excellent work Jamiha. You are really getting a grasp of the material in the lesson. Thanks for sending this in!

Anyone else please feel free to post your Lesson 7 exercises here. If you cannot host them email them to me and I will provide a link.

Gary Garritan

Re: Lesson 7 Exercises

Here's a link to my woodwind 3rds and 6ths exercise:

mp3 score (pdf)

The melody happens twice, once in the flute with clari in 3rds and 6ths below, then again the octave down in the clari with bassoon below.

And here's another on I did before I realised before there was a set melody to use in the exercise. Oops! This one is 2 flutes in 6ths with a 2 bassoons playing a countermelody in a mix of intervals.

mp3 score (pdf)

Ben

7.1 - Melody in Octaves
    http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd4/...ave-robint.mp3

Triple octaves: Fl1, Fl2, Ob1 / Ob2, Cl1, Cl2 / Bs1 / Bs2

This was a great exercise, because it really humbles you after getting good at octaves in the strings. The mixed timbres changes everything.

Originally I harumphed when RK said woodwinds in 5 octaves was rare, and required the addition of strings. So I split each section - Picc/Fl,Ob/Ob,Cln/Cln,Bsn/Bsn - and after playing it immediately understood why you shouldn't do that. With the gigantic range, there was too much difference in the timbres... both the piccolo and the bassoon stuck out, and didn't blend with each other. I got much better results simply by lopping off either the top instrument or the bottom one, and ultimately wound up at the more complex doubling listed above.

7.2 - Melody in 3rds and 6ths
    http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd4/...3-6-robint.mp3

Oboe in thirds doubled by flute, and then an octave lower by clarinet.

Summary Exercise 1
    http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd4/...ry1-robint.mp3

My various experimentations went so well that I couldn't pick just one. The above mp3 has three versions of the exercise - solo flute, english horn with clarinet a 6th below, and oboe and clarinet in unison (kind of an harmonica sort of sound - is that just the synthesizer, or would a real clarinet and oboe make that tone?).

Summary Exercise 2
    http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd4/...ry2-robint.mp3

Bass flute an octave above bassoon.

I kept reading on the forum about flute and bassoon. Mozart likes flute and bassoon. Sibelius likes flute and bassoon. I didn't get it - they're so widely separated on so many levels. But when nothing else was sounding good with the bass flute here (bass clarinet was my first choice, but sounded too "pinched"), I changed the patch to bassoon and, viola - I guess those old dead dudes knew their stuff.

Thanks again for listening. I'm making good time because it's fun!

-Robin

Hi - After a month's hiatus, I'm back at it. Here are my lesson 7 exercises:

Exercise 1: mp3, score

Exercise 2: mp3, score played twice with slightly different arrangements.

I repeated the summary exercises three or four times with more of a sense of development.

Summary exercise 1: mp3, score

Summary exercise 2: mp3, score

I think I finally understood the melody with the second summary exercise. The background for the summary exercises is lovely!

Comments and criticisms most welcome!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by benhillyard

mp3 score (pdf)

The melody happens twice, once in the flute with clari in 3rds and 6ths below, then again the octave down in the clari with bassoon below.

And here's another on I did before I realised before there was a set melody to use in the exercise. Oops! This one is 2 flutes in 6ths with a 2 bassoons playing a countermelody in a mix of intervals.

mp3 score (pdf)

Ben
    Ben,

I would very much like to listen to you exercises. The bigupload site you have them on does not make it easy and then one needs to download and unzip them. It would be more convenient to other learners ifyou or I could provide direct links. If you email your exercises I would be happy to host them.

Thanks,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by greatgreybeast
    Thanks again for listening. I'm making good time because it's fun!
    -Robin
    Robin,

Glad you are having fun! I listened to all of your exercises. Some very beuatiful and engaging woodwind melodies. Some imaginative work. You certainly are getting a good handle on the material presented in the course.

Thanks very much for sharing these and looking forward to hearing more of your work.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by stevebryson
    Hi - After a month's hiatus, I'm back at it. ..
    I think I finally understood the melody with the second summary exercise. The background for the summary exercises is lovely!

Comments and criticisms most welcome!
    Steve
    Steve,

Welcome back! Hope you had a good hiatus and you certainly haven't lost the knack while you were gone.

Some excellent melodies in your exercises. You certainly do seem to understand the summary exercises and your melodies fit the background perfectly.

Thanks for sharing these.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Robin,

Glad you are having fun! I listened to all of your exercises. Some very beuatiful and engaging woodwind melodies. Some imaginative work. You certainly are getting a good handle on the material presented in the course.

Thanks very much for sharing these and looking forward to hearing more of your work.

Gary Garritan
    Ask and ye shall recieve! I've been distracted a bit as school starts next week, but I'm down to the last brass exercise, and should finish it tonight.

-Robin

Quote Originally Posted by benhillyard

mp3 score (pdf)

mp3 score (pdf)

Ben

Nice work Ben! I like the different instruments in first and second part.

Aleksandar

Go Back to forum