• Register
  • Help

Topic: a BIG thanks for the free online course...

Share/Bookmark

a BIG thanks for the free online course...

.....dunno if something like this was posted before...anyway...

just wanted to say how i enjoy the online lessons and I see how much work & love is in there. really inspiring and instructional these examples.

up to now i worked with cubase and played everything by hand. but since a longer time i felt that it's time for a change and/or an extension of working-style...so the garritan course came at the right point of time.

although i played for years in my youth sheet music i would call me an almost "musical-notes-legasthenic"....and this nu dimension is a very hard challenge for me. so excuse me if in this forum will be partially beginner-questions from my side.

cheers!

Re: a BIG thanks for the free online course...

I completely agree - everyone spends so much time and is so helpful on these courses such as the various professors. I've learned a lot and am also gaining renewed appreciation for the music of Rimsky-Korsakov. I went to the CD store to buy some of the music from the examples but was surprised how hard it is to find these great operas.

Anyway, this course is great!

Karim

I second that, it's truly a tremendous resource and inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by karelm
    I completely agree - everyone spends so much time and is so helpful on these courses such as the various professors. I've learned a lot and am also gaining renewed appreciation for the music of Rimsky-Korsakov. I went to the CD store to buy some of the music from the examples but was surprised how hard it is to find these great operas.

Anyway, this course is great!

Karim
    After giong from example from example midi note for midi note from the back of the book you start seeing a "constant" in RKs Orchestration style. I was just commenting a bit back that half or more of the back consists of a pedal point in the basses LOL I know Rk is not all pedal points as when I first started this I searched and searched for the rare operas(still do not have some) and in the cases where there lacks markings alot is guestimation. Kinda different when you go thru the book note for note via input. From start to finish you see alot of consistant RK things that he does over and over. Kinda cool.

Good luck finding some of these works performed! My best advice is to search online and not stores. I forgot where I ordered two of them and I wish I did not now that people are interested in live versions. I think one source was ebay though and a great price for a full opera, and the recording is old style(just the way I like it, no studio quality sound, a bit of noise, and no artificial reverb/cut and splice in addition you get more of an audience feel as opposed to modern recordings! lol Mind you that is only my opinion on recording techniques. I greatly admire those who like to perfect the studio sound and that in itself is an artform and takes alot of know how.
    Robert Davis

Thanks GigaLove,

The credit goes to the incredible talent that made this course possible - Robert Davis, Sean Hannifin, Bob DeCelle, Lucas, Alan Belkin, Andy Brick, Terry Pool and many others.

I hope this course will help many musicians.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum