• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fallen Soldier

Share/Bookmark

Fallen Soldier

http://www.timberwolftech.com/fallen.mp3

This piece is meant to tell a common story that occurs on battlefields, mainly those in the past. It tells of a tragedy in the middle of a battle, yet this made the men seek vengence and end up winning the battle.

For those who would recognize it, that is the theme from another song that I am working on, Generations, that plays several times throughout the length of this piece. And I do realize that brass is a little too strong towards the end, gonna fix a few mistakes later and reupload the file.

I was originally going to enter this in the patriotic competition. Yet seeing as the subject may seem antipatriotic, I'm still not certain whether or no to enter this so I'm putting it here for now.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Re: Fallen Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    http://www.timberwolftech.com/fallen.mp3

This piece is meant to tell a common story that occurs on battlefields, mainly those in the past. It tells of a tragedy in the middle of a battle, yet this made the men seek vengence and end up winning the battle.

For those who would recognize it, that is the theme from another song that I am working on, Generations, that plays several times throughout the length of this piece. And I do realize that brass is a little too strong towards the end, gonna fix a few mistakes later and reupload the file.

I was originally going to enter this in the patriotic competition. Yet seeing as the subject may seem antipatriotic, I'm still not certain whether or no to enter this so I'm putting it here for now.
    Well, if the download completes in my current lifetime, I will comment on the patriotic aspect of it in the light of a retired (not fallen) soldier, veteran of both Korean and Vietnam actions (but not front line, even though I had some close squeaks).

Richard

Well, the download ended, and I did not. Three questions:

1. Where's the rest?

2. How does the consideration of unpatriotic arise?

3. Why do you think the brass is too strong?

Comments: I like it very much. I would expect any family to be proud to have that music played for their fallen soldier!!

To re-iterate my position: I am one of the unfallen rear echelon soldiers (if such can really exist, since for a fair amount of time, I had artillery fire as my lullabye; outgoing, I am pleased to say.) I find this music eminently suited as patriotic music and find not the slightest reason to consider it otherwise!

I think it also has great possiblilities as an organ solo.

Richard

1. That is the full song. I was just tired when finishing it last night. Gonna fix the mistakes in it in a few hours.

2. I've never actually heard a patriotic song take on a darker look of things. Then again, I think Taps could be considered patriotic so this might work...

3. The MP3 recording peaks out towards the end, causing some nice noise. At first, I thought it were my speakers, but I found out different when converting to MP3.

It actually sounded better when I played this on my keyboard. Should probably upload that file because it plays the last 2 measures of the song correctly while I would have ot do a little bit of work to get the effect going in GPO.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Cj., there is some *excellent* work in this!

Great opening, and much evocative material throughout...
    a haunting mixture at times of sadness and fortitude in
    the face of it.

May I perhaps suggest a little less repetition of material
    and more variation? You have a thematic goldmine in
    this, asking you to develop it and expand it.

On the rendering, I think perhaps a lesser hand with
    reverb would go far in bringing out the inherent clarity
    of the writing, and also bring out the articulations
    essential to some parts of it far better.

This is strong work, CJ: I genuinely look forward to
    more...

With my best,

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I've redone the final portion of the song, and I've added in Trumpet and French Horn (which apparently I forgot since I noticed that those were the only two blank staves on it). Still working on fine tuning this piece. Haven't gotten in all of the dynamics and expressions I want to put in it yet.

http://www.timberwolftech.com/fallen-2.mp3
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Go Back to forum