• Register
  • Help

Topic: which comp??????????

Share/Bookmark

which comp??????????

well,
    as u knw by now tht i'm one confused guy hehe,so here's another one....compresssor is the most imp.plugin tht anyone wud use n use it extensively so do u guys hav any suggesions as to which plugin to use,well i have waves diamond n musicians bundle ni also hav nuendo's own comp..n hey wuts the diff. b/w comp n vst comp cuz nuendo offers both..n yes the last one...shud we render vsti's n then compress them or the other way nplz tell me the way u guys use comp on various instruments cuz i've used h/w comp but computer music is kinda diff n the same ratios dnt seem to work well..yup thts it

Re: which comp??????????

How you use your compressor depends on many things - the material (instruments) and what they're playing is probably the most significant factor in deciding what settings to use. The result for me should be transparent. Ideally each instrument would have its own compression, but that can be a routing nightmare and takes a lot of time and overhead. I tend to group my instruments for compression then apply a master limiter with moderate settings on the output.

In my view, the big thing to watch for when using compression over several channels is the tendency for fast transients to knock out slow ones - the result can be pumping if the release is set too high or a very unnatural and unbalanced dropout if set too fast.

There are a wide variety of settings on a compressor because there are a wide variety of applications. You need to know what you want to achieve by using one to know what settings to use.

Software compressors work under the same theory as hardware ones. I think we need to know what kind of material you're working with to be of any more help.

Waves stuff is decent. Overpriced, but decent.

The Universal Audio Powered Plug-Ins has fantastic compressors. Emulations of the 1176 and the LA2A. SWEET STUFF. I never use my Waves comps. I always use the UA ones. And...they are powered by the card, so not as much of a hit on your CPU.

In the Waves package, I like the Renaisannce compressor, works really well. But I like the UA stuff a little more, at least for most applications. The Ren Compressor works better sometimes though, pretty sweet
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattdean
    The Universal Audio Powered Plug-Ins has fantastic compressors. Emulations of the 1176 and the LA2A. SWEET STUFF. I never use my Waves comps. I always use the UA ones. And...they are powered by the card, so not as much of a hit on your CPU.
    hey!
    i guess its abt time i jump into UAD domain but which one to buy???cuz i just saw they have UAD-1(flexi,project,ultra,) and UAD-1e(expert n express)......
    well i'm kinda short on money but wud want to buy the best possible deal n if its really inevitable than i might arrange finances from somewhere else cuz i wud want to buy a one time deal with exceptional quality....n yes i'm using nuendo 3.0 n use windows xp with PERL d86 motherboard......i'll be waiting for ur kind advice........take care

Go Back to forum