• Register
  • Help

Topic: a2 question

Share/Bookmark

a2 question

Hi dear friends,

I need you to give a tip on this one:
    In an orchestral score when you have say a 3 flute sharing the same staff line, a2 or a3 indication marks remain active until a one new appears?
    Can you give me a better explanation on this one or my ideia is correct?

Kindly Regards,

Jorge

Re: a2 question

In theory, yes, but if a rest of more than 2 or 3 bars follows, it is wise to repeat the instruction.

Terry

Smile Re: a2 question

Thanks Terry,
    that was helpfull.

Regards,

Jorge

Quote Originally Posted by Joreg
    Hi dear friends,

I need you to give a tip on this one:
    In an orchestral score when you have say a 3 flute sharing the same staff line, a2 or a3 indication marks remain active until a one new appears?
    Can you give me a better explanation on this one or my ideia is correct?

Kindly Regards,

Jorge
    Is it common for the individual parts to say A Dué (a2, both) or just the score? I've never seen an actual orchestral part, only the score.

Keith Walls

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW
    Is it common for the individual parts to say A Dué (a2, both) or just the score? I've never seen an actual orchestral part, only the score.

Keith Walls
    Just as in a score a composer may write two similar instruments on one stave or two separate staves, so a copyist or publisher may put two instruments on one stave and head it, say "Flutes 1 & 2", in which case the "a 2"s (not to mention the "1." or the "2") will be needed whenever there is a single line of notes. If he publishes Flute 1 and Flute 2 as separate copies there is no problem.

In my experience, woodwind parts are usually published separately, and brass parts, especially of the earlier music, with two parts in one copy. This is not always so however.

A warning to Sibelius users when getting it to print separate parts, if you have been writing two parts on one stave: Sibelius will merely reproduce the combined part in both copies, so if you want separate parts you will have to do a lot of deleting and other editing.

Terry

Go Back to forum