• Register
  • Help

Topic: Instrumentally Speaking

Share/Bookmark

Instrumentally Speaking

I can't recall who recommended the book Instrumentally Speaking but I would like to extend my thanks. I would recommend it to anyone in musical theater (or songwriters in general) who are interested in arranging--using Garritan samples of course I found a copy languishing on the shelf of our downtown public library. Lucky find!

Instrumentally Speaking by Robert Russell Bennett

(By the way the book credits the author with arranging over 300 musicals)

Re: Instrumentally Speaking

I love this book in that it deals with orchestration for the pit orchestra in musical theater (you know - the gig where the arranger is constantly asked if he really needs that many strings). Robert Russell Bennett was one of the less-sung (not unsung) arrangers/orchestrators as was the great Conrad Salinger in American music.I have never been able to understand why this book is not available. One day maybe,
    David.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron St. Germain
    I can't recall who recommended the book Instrumentally Speaking but I would like to extend my thanks. I would recommend it to anyone in musical theater (or songwriters in general) who are interested in arranging--using Garritan samples of course I found a copy languishing on the shelf of our downtown public library. Lucky find!

Instrumentally Speaking by Robert Russell Bennett

(By the way the book credits the author with arranging over 300 musicals)
    I did a search on Amazon for "Instrumentally Speaking". $150 seems to be the lowest price I could find for the book.

I did the same search and couldn't believe the price either. I was very lucky to find it at the library. If it's out of print, is it legal for me to scan and give it free to interested parties?

Go Back to forum