• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Overture vs Finale (current opinions)

Share/Bookmark

Overture vs Finale (current opinions)

Ok... for a little lively debate. Some time has passed now since Oveture4 came out, and also since FinaleGPO came out. Which setup do you guys prefer, including if you use other sample libraries in addition to GPO? Which setup and why? if you use one or the other and have not worked with both, please don't respond with all the reasons why you love the one you have unless you've also worked with the other. I'm looking for a real objective comparison between the two.

Also, all the obvious points about Finale being a standard, being perhaps superior for typesetting purposes, etc.. Those discussions have been had many times and don't need to be repeated.

I'm mainly interested in the CURRENT state of affairs in terms of ease of input, ease of editing, ease of setup, humanization of playback, interrpretation of dynamics and other markings during playback, compatability with the important VST plugins and sample libraries, etc.. In other words, if you're a composer and you want to compose with one of these tools and produce audio with them..which do you prefer and why? Overture claims this to be their forte. But Finale has made big strides in this direction in recent years.

Thoughts?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: Overture vs Finale (current opinions)

Is there some reason you've left Sibelius out of the discussion?

I've looked at all three and Sibelius wins by far for stability, ease of use, feature completeness and speed of entry.

I used to think Overture was going to be a boon, but they've lost all credibility with the constant dismissal of Mac support in version 4.

What little experience I have with Finale 2005 and 2006, then seem to be less stable than Sibelius. Looking at the forum postings confirms this.

well, now that you mention it... let's include Sibelius and Notion too...sure.. I have been more interested in Finale recently because of the Human playback and the stuff Gary is doing with them. I am specifically trying to find out who has the best midi playback capabilities....in a notation package.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Sibelius playback is better than they will admit to. Their GPO playback is limited to their internal sample player which has limitations on number and combinations of instruments, unless you know about this little undocumented feature.

They don't support JABB in the same way as they support GPO, but using the same technique, one can make JABB just as useful in Sibelius.

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    I am specifically trying to find out who has the best midi playback capabilities....in a notation package.
    Overture's the only one that gives you sequencer type controls over the midi data. if that's what you're looking for. I prefer to just use a sequencer if that's what I need.

I'm a Finale user, and I think that 2007 is a huge upgrade. Here's a description that I'm quoting from Tyler on the Finale forum about the HP enhancements in 2007.

"The enhancements to HP are going to be useful to users of a lot of different libraries. The idea this time around was essentially to allow users to define how the stuff HP looks for gets played back. And you can save these as sets - so you could have an EWQLSO set, a GJBB set, a Garritan Marching Band set, etc. What you can't do yet is define WHAT it is that HP is looking for. But Robert has been expanding the library, and even as of 2006 it was able to consider a large amount of elements.

So if you are playing to a library that required a particular keyswitch, patch change or continuous controller message to switch to a pizzicato patch, now you can tell HP how to do that and save it so that you don't have to do it again. HP will employ that technique whenever it encounters a pizzicato in the score. Different files can have different preferences saved with them. I believe they will be including preference sets for some of the more popular libraries today. Also, people should be able to share preferences with each other, so once someone develops a set, others should be able to benefit from that."

Quote Originally Posted by dbudde
    What little experience I have with Finale 2005 and 2006, then seem to be less stable than Sibelius. Looking at the forum postings confirms this.
    This is a bit of an overstatement. We can find posts by users who are having trouble with every notation/sequencer program. My personal observation is that users who have problems with Finale/GPO playback for instance, quite often haven't read the documentation. There's a very comprehensive HP/GPO tutorial that came with 2006. Almost every possible problem is addressed in that document.

I use Sibelius occasionally too. I don't find either Sib. or Fin. to be more (or less) stable than each other. They're both professional programs with devoted users. But what I see as the bottom line, the publisher that I work for, about 70% of the composers use Finale and the other 30% use Sibelius. And the Sibelius files get transferred into Finale for the final printed product.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by dbudde
    Is there some reason you've left Sibelius out of the discussion?

I've looked at all three and Sibelius wins by far for stability, ease of use, feature completeness and speed of entry.

I used to think Overture was going to be a boon, but they've lost all credibility with the constant dismissal of Mac support in version 4.

I disagree. I have used Finale for many years and have found no stability problems. I have trialled Sibelius a number of times and have found Finale to be superior in ease of use and speed of entry. Regarding completeness, I feel that presently Sibelius is chasing Finale particularly with working with GPO. I am not aware of anything Sibelius can do that Finale cannot. What forum postings? I have been reading the forums too and I'm not aware that these forums have put down Finale! In fact, it seems to me from the forum posts that Finale is more popular.

Regarding Overture, I have only ever looked at this very briefly so I can't really make any personal comparisons with this.

I would suggest trying demos of each of these to see for yourself. For the rest of us we have our own ways of working and for many of us Finale is the tool to use. For others Sibelius or Overture is the way to go. It's really a matter of preference.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    I disagree. I have used Finale for many years and have found no stability problems. I have trialled Sibelius a number of times and have found Finale to be superior in ease of use and speed of entry. Regarding completeness, I feel that presently Sibelius is chasing Finale particularly with working with GPO. I am not aware of anything Sibelius can do that Finale cannot. What forum postings? I have been reading the forums too and I'm not aware that these forums have put down Finale! In fact, it seems to me from the forum posts that Finale is more popular.
    Maybe this has all been fixed. If so, then great. But when I was looking at crossgrading to Finale (around the time Finale 2006 was coming out) the finale forum was fraught with playback issues so I opted not to crossgrade. The playback feature was the most important one to me at the time. And it's my understanding that this is the main reason there were 4 releases of Finale 2006.

I hardly think Sibelius is playing catch up with Finale. I'll agree they each have their strengths and weaknesses. I notice, for instance, Finale 2007 is just now introducing linked parts.

I am fully Mac...and have been waiting with baited breath for Overture 4 to be ready for Mac.

Meanwhile - I am getting older.

I know it must be a programer's nightmare -- and with the translation now having to go to Unimac.....

BUT - the interface between sequencer and notation IS trhe next step and needed on Mac desperately.

I have found both Finale and Sib too limiting in needing to marry sequencing with notation and get out what I need...at a price I can afford.

Actually, I've seen several other users in other forums who greatly prefer Sibelius over Finale. Of course, it's just a matter of preference.
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Working on a score without the ability to edit midi data and mix sample programs without leaving the page, must be like a cutting feature films with a black and white monitor. The others will follow, but OV4 is there today.

Go Back to forum